Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greeves 24MX1 Challenger Article - Motor Cycle Magazine, 27/2/64.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves 24MX1 Challenger Article - Motor Cycle Magazine, 27/2/64.

Here's another long out of print article that may be of interest, covering the debut of the 24MX1 Challenger with it's Greeves designed engine. Note 'experimental' exhaust system in the top picture.

An article on the Silverstone MKII engine would follow six months later in the same publication, and I've posted scans of this in the 'Racing Machines' area (see here; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=4133)

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 20/12/2013, 05:56 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

interesting stuff.

Thats one iv`e never read, thanks brian, great article...

Comment

Challenger exhaust

Thommo,
      I think that exhaust is the one they used on production, it's a bit difficult to see. What did change was the heat shield, to a welded on perforated sheet.

Druid

Comment

Pre Production & Production Challenger Exhaust.

Hi John,

Thanks for the clarification and additional info.

I've attached some more scans to illustrate your point.The first two are enlargements of the bike from the above article and the last is from the 24MX1 factory brochure.

Brian T.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 21/12/2013, 02:50 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

That article was 24th February 1964, and marked the launch of the Challenger. I've already reproduced it for the February Leading Link to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the Challenger.

Cheers Brian!
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

24MX1 Challenger Launch.

Hi Colin,

Interesting that you say the article was from the 24th...I was going from the date in the image (27th), or maybe the first issues came out early or something?

I'm glad it was of use though. Have you got what you need images wise? Just holla if you need me to email anything better.

Brian.

Comment

oh dear.

" Typex " anyone!!!
              Last edited by dave higgins; 22/12/2013, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Challenger Race Test - Peter Fraser, Motor Cycle magazine, 29/10/64.

Here's a nice companion peice to the the first article in this thread, published at the other end of the same year. I think he liked it....

Brian T.
                Attached Files

Comment

Word on the street at the time suggested that Peter needed a considerable time to get acquainted with the Challenger. I think he was trying to corner without enough power on and finding it didn't turn. Looks like he got the hang of it for the actual event.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                    Hi Colin,

Interesting that you say the article was from the 24th...I was going from the date in the image (27th), or maybe the first issues came out early or something?

I'm glad it was of use though. Have you got what you need images wise? Just holla if you need me to email anything better.

Brian.
                    No, I just remembered the date wrong, it was the 27th.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                      Here's a nice companion peice to the the first article in this thread, published at the other end of the same year. I think he liked it....

Brian T.
                      Cracking article Brian - thanks for posting....Must admit when I rode Mike Bell's challanger after my Griffon;s gave up this year I was pleasantly surprised by its speed...But (Other) Brian - your observation on handling rings true - If you keep it pinned it works well !!

Comment

Working...
                      X