Essex twin restoration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex twin restoration.

I am restoring a 1964 Essex from scratch. This machine was peacock blue,having found a good amount inside of toolbox, I need to determine the tank colours, The sales brochure states two tone,peacock/mountain blue, My query is what is mountain blue and which way round is the blues? Also which seat colour was used in 1964? Many thanks any answers offered.

There you go...
    Attached Files
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

One thing you should be aware of is the fact that ethanol in unleaded petrol will melt the fibreglass tank. So ok if you are restoring as a show bike, but if you intend to ride it you would be advised to use only super unleaded petrol that has no ethanol content.
      One other thing, dont be tempted to use a tank sealer, despite claims by manufacturers/suppliers of the stuff they rarely work, and you can end up with the additional problem of a sticky goo in the tank that is difficult to remove. So no real solution other than have a replica tank made in steel or alloy at vast expense. Of course you could fit a standard Greeves steel tank from a DC model but of couse it wont look right.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/08/2013, 01:54 PM. Reason: Extra text re sealants

Comment

Working...
      X