1961 25DC-Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 25DC-Questions.

Hello all,As a new member I'm not to sure if I've got this right but if I have I wonder if anyone can help me with a few questions.For my 19th bike I'm buying a fully restored 1961 25dc,I had a Fleetwing in the late 50s early 60s and remember it as my very favourite bike so here I am again,50 years later, going down memory lane ! The questions are - is the oil mixture 50 to 1,what type of oil and how can I measure it correctly-is there a side stand I can buy and from where-can anyone recommend a good mirror- has anyone fitted flashing indicators,or is this 'not on' for this age of machine ? Any answers would be very appreciated.
    Many thanks Bryan

I can only say what I have used and done .Semi synthetic oil at 30:1 using a graduated jug to measure 300 mls for 9 Lt's of fuel use this type of oil to reduce smoke.Mirrors I like the bar end type.
    Regards
    Merlin

Comment

1961 25 dc

I have run on 30/1 Morris synthetic fortified premix/injector oil for several years with no problems,166mls to 5ltrs of petrol,I found a cough mixture bottle which was about this capacity which I keep for a measure. I like mountain bike bar end mirrors,they do not vibrate.I only know of sidestands for trials machines,perhaps one of these could be adapted.Flashing indicators not for me, so no opinion can be passed.Enjoy your 25DC they are great machines to own and ride.I hope this helps.Best wishes.

Comment

25dc

To answer some of your questions
        Oil: ordinary mineral oil at 25 to 1, As mentioned on here many times before I use Comma Two Stroke available at most motor stores, Ernest Doe, & on line.
        Other makes are available. You dont need to use fully synthetic in a road bike.
        Side stand: The roadsters never had them fitted but as other have sugested maybe a trials one could be adapted
        Flashers: Various retailers sell flasher kits, search Google or look at ads in bike mags. You need a set that work on 6 volt though.
        Mirrors: Bar end ones are good, again ads in bike mags etc.

Comment

Indicators

I have indicators fitted to my East Coaster. a simple job as long as you are happy playing with wires.
          Paul Goff, www.norbsa02.freeuk.com or 01494868218 can supply kits for six volt systems. That's where I got mine.
          Ian Black

Comment

Originally posted by ian 2 stroke View Post
            I have indicators fitted to my East Coaster. a simple job as long as you are happy playing with wires.
            Paul Goff, www.norbsa02.freeuk.com or 01494868218 can supply kits for six volt systems. That's where I got mine.
            Ian Black
            Any chance of some pictures of how you've mounted them?

I always feel a bit vulnerable without indicators on my 32DC these days and was thinking of looking into fitting some.

Thanks.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Indicators

Pictures of my indicator set up. The brackets to mount the front ones came, if I dare admit it, from a Harley shop. Using them saved having to put holes in the front of the bike. The back ones I drilled the number plate mount as if I ever wanted to go back to standard they could be blocked quite easily so that they didn't show.
              I agree about indicators. I wouldn't ride without them. If you don't give modern drivers the correct programming it just dosn't register.
              Attached Files

Comment

1961 25dc

Many thanks for all your replies to my questions There seems to be a small difference of opinion to the oil mix-25 or 30,but I'm sure my measuring techniques will come somewhere in the middle ! I liked the idea of the comma oil John,didn't know that was available.I did look at the bar end mirrors,are they easy to fit ? The pics. and the info.on the indicators was great and I'll be getting around to that soonest.May I just add that I've never been in a motorcycle group before, so this feels very good to know you are all out there willing to help.bryan

Comment

Glad you like the forum bryan, there are more benifits to be had by upgrading to full membership, & it helps to keep the club running for everyone to enjoy.
                  On another point, there is a very good classic club on your doorstep, they run many ride out events & all bikes are catered for, the bath classic motorcycle club.
                  I think a few of the ring leaders come from trowbridge, so you might even know them. dave.

Comment

Originally posted by ian 2 stroke View Post
                    Pictures of my indicator set up. The brackets to mount the front ones came, if I dare admit it, from a Harley shop. Using them saved having to put holes in the front of the bike. The back ones I drilled the number plate mount as if I ever wanted to go back to standard they could be blocked quite easily so that they didn't show.
                    I agree about indicators. I wouldn't ride without them. If you don't give modern drivers the correct programming it just dosn't register.
                    Thanks for that, Ian. Good practice "no irreversible changes", eh?

The mountings look to be quality items, I wonder if there's room to mount the front indicators below the handlebars. Might look nicer?
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Indicators, up or under

I'm sure when I mounted the indicators I had a reason for putting them on top but I can't remember what it was.
                      Thinking about it they would look neater underneath. I shall have to look into the possibilty.

Comment

1961 25dc

Ian,could you tell me where you bought the 'Harley' brackets for mounting the indicators onto the handlebars and what they are called ?I've looked on the HD accessory web site but can't find them-maybe you even have a part number,which would be very helpful.

Comment

1961 25dc

Dave,yes thanks for that advice and I've just printed out the membership form,which will be sent tomorrow.

Comment

Harley brackets

In Cornwall where I live there is a company called Thor Motorcycles. Harleys are one of the makes they deal in and the brackets came from them. I doubt they are a genuine Harley parts just an after market part made for Harleys. They were obviously for a Harley as they are made to fit 1 inch diameter bars.
                            Keeping up the mix and max the spacers to adapt them to 7/8 diameter for the Greeves are parts made for Triumphs.
                            Ian Black

Comment

1961 25dc

Thanks Ian for the info.about Thor and will be contacting them shortly.

Comment

Working...
                              X