Mystery engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery engine.

Can anyone identify this engine which has been the result of discussion on the AJS & Matchless Club web site?

Some thought it may be a Maico, or maybe a Husquvarna. Apparently its 250cc, the massive small end may give a clue.

(Note; The last of the original 6 pictures appears in post #4, as only 5 thumbnails can be attached to each post. See 'Reason for editing' below. Brian.)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/09/2010, 07:54 PM. Reason: Over large picture files removed, resized and reattached in order to conserve site bandwidth.

Hello John,

Looks to be a Husky or a Sprite which was a copy of the Husqvarna...also known in the States as the American Eagle, Talon and American Galaxy.

They were also imported to Australia and Belgium under different names.

Good looking scramblers as well, not too reliable word has it.

If I recall British rider Dave Smith rode a Sprite in the USA Inter-Am series in 69 or 70.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ken Sykes

Comment

Mystery engine

Thanks Kenny I thought it may be a Sprite the absence of any name is misleading. One point that was picked up on the other forum was that the gear change lever is out of the top of crankcase. Someone suggested it may have been an automatic gear box, or maybe cable operated as in a scooter. Any thoughts on that.

Comment

Mystery Engine Final Pic.

See attached, final pic from post #1, edited due to size of uploaded picture files.

Brian.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          Thanks Kenny I thought it may be a Sprite the absence of any name is misleading. One point that was picked up on the other forum was that the gear change lever is out of the top of crankcase. Someone suggested it may have been an automatic gear box, or maybe cable operated as in a scooter. Any thoughts on that.
          Not sure John about the auto trans.

I owned an 8-speed Husqvarna at one time with a in and out lever to change to the higher gear ratios. What I read about the Sprite motor was it was a copy of the 4-speed Husky, but most parts were not interchangeable

A couple pics of the Sprite for everyone to check out...this one is a Alron 400 imported to Australia.

Kenny
          Attached Files

Comment

Sprite

At the time Husqvarna weren't too enamoured wth Frank Hipkin and his Sprite copy of their engine. I vaguely remember that lawyers were involved and some changes were made by Sprite to overcome the plagiarism. A similar fate befell REH with their alleged copy of Ceriani forks.

Sprite also offered a Maico engined scrambler for the sum of £295.

Phil

Comment

So what capacity was the Sprite engine? Kenny shows a 400cc version did they do a 250cc?

Comment

Engine Capacity

John

a 250 and 450. I recall that they had problems keeping pistons in the bigger engine.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                X