MDS Throttle Cable Fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDS Throttle Cable Fitting

Can anyone help out with advice on fitting a throttle cable to an MDS. I have a universal cable and a mid adjuster but have not fitted a throttle cable before. I particularly need ideas on the proper routing for the cable. A ballpark measurement of how much free cable to leave at the carb end (389 monoblock) would also be useful to help get started.
    Basically any hints that might assist me to get this little job right first time would be well appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Done

Bit the bullet and nailed this first time. Probably beginners luck.
    Tips.
    1) Measure everything at last half a dozen times.
    2) Try all possible cable routings with all possible handlebar positions and choose the line of least resistance.
    3) To cut a cable inner, "tin it" with solder at the position to be cut and whack it with a sharp cold chisel on a concrete floor....works a treat.
    4) Before soldering the nipples on make sure everything that won't fit over the nipples is in place.
    5) make sure that everything that needs to pass through a hole / gap will do so before deciding to carry out 4).
    6) Dont just solder the nipples on....spread the wire at the end and fill the spread wire with solder to prevent the wire pulling through the nipple.

The rebuilt MDS is capable of running now...with THAT megaphone - but saving The Startup Day for a special occasion.

Comment

Cables etc.

Hi Blackshiver,

Good to hear that things are progressing well with the MDS. Would that 'special occasion' for the inaugural start up be your MOT man's 'retirement do' then....?!

Sorry if this is a bit late now (!), but here's a link with a few handy hints on cables etc;

It's a really useful site, with all sorts of good tips on various aspects of M/C repairs etc.

Here's another link to a good supplier of control cables and components etc, including wiring products and all sorts of other handy bits and peices;

Brian.
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 15/09/2010, 12:16 AM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Good memory...

Nice one Brian...Nope, it will be my 50th, I intend to use the mega to annoy the neighbours as I slide disgracefully into old age.
        I'll do a write up for Leading Link sometime over the winter for you. Never seen much about the MDS in there.

Comment

Birthday boys!

Ha ha....me too in a few weeks...!!!

Ah yes, the big five ooh...if only I could spend it in Hawii...!!! Have a good one mate, and sounds like a perfectly good way to celebrate to me!

Look forward to hearing more about your bike in due course Blackshiver. How about posting some pics on here sometime (yes please!)

All the best, (and many happy returns!-hope you don't get an 'asbo'* when the big day comes...!!!)

Brian.

*'anti social bike order'!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blackshiver View Post
            Nice one Brian...Nope, it will be my 50th, I intend to use the mega to annoy the neighbours as I slide disgracefully into old age.
            I'll do a write up for Leading Link sometime over the winter for you. Never seen much about the MDS in there.
            Be very pleased to hear about your MDS for Leading Link! My email address is in LL.

What do you mean "old age"? I'm 65 and I haven't got there yet.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Mds

Attached is an up to date photo (yesterday). Also attached (non greeves!) is a picture of the world famous Darracq 25 litre V8 from today's Saltburn
              Classic bike and car Hill Climb.

Not sure which will be the loudest, but you can bet your bottom dollar it will be easier starting the MDS compared with what the gentleman had to do with a starting handle to get the Darracq fired up.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mds.

Wow Blackshiver, nice job! Your MDS looks fantastic!!!

Cheers for posting the pics, and congratulations on a superb restoration.

Now, has anyone built a Darracq Greeves yet......! (25 litres....?!!!! An amazing beast for sure! That would definitely raise your MOT man's eyebrows....!!!)

Brian.
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 19/09/2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X