Griffon Prototypes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon Prototypes

Regarding XP3/1 footrests, I photographed these mystery footrests at Battlesbridge last year. Behind them is a standard Griffon item.

The asembly is finished in silver so that must give a clue?

Cheers,

Rob
    Attached Files

Xp3/1

Originally posted by Rob View Post
    Regarding XP3/1 footrests, I photographed these mystery footrests at Battlesbridge last year. Behind them is a standard Griffon item.

Cheers,

Rob
    Rob,

Thank you for posting the picture on the footrest.

They appear to me to be MX3 or MX5 footrest because of the mounts.

I will post a picture of the frame with the brazed footrest mounts which had u-bolts stick welded on them when I can.

Kenny

Comment

Xp3/1

Kenny ,

I would be interested in the numbers stamped onto the top of the gearbox shell .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
        Kenny ,

I would be interested in the numbers stamped onto the top of the gearbox shell .

Chris
        Hi Chris,

Number on shell is 40/68 CCB240...opposite side is 83 SPL.

Thanks,
        Kenny

Comment

Xp3/1

Ok Kenny ,

The box was received at the factory , stripped & checked as OK in week 40 of 1968 , 83 is the clock number of the guy in charge of the production engine building shop , Dave Brown & SPL meant it was a special order from Albion - didn't actually mean a lot !! . Nearly forgot CCB is Cam Change box .

All Albion boxes were stripped and checked as a matter of course , suprising the faults found .

Common numbers on the early boxes were 83 , 85 , 107 . 83 was a Tim Curtis and 107 was me before I went into the Comp Shop .

Chris

Comment

Ok Kenny ,

The box was received at the factory , stripped & checked as OK in week 40 of 1968 , 83 is the clock number of the guy in charge of the production engine building shop , Dave Brown & SPL meant it was a special order from Albion - didn't actually mean a lot !! . Nearly forgot CCB is Cam Change box .

All Albion boxes were stripped and checked as a matter of course , suprising the faults found .

Common numbers on the early boxes were 83 , 85 , 107 . 83 was a Tim Curtis and 107 was me before I went into the Comp Shop .

Chris
            I had no clue on this!

Would these numbers tell you that it may be the first prototype built?

I have a few Albion G/B's, I'll keep an eye out for your number!

Thanks for the Albion education!!
            Kenny

Comment

Xp3/1

Hi kenny ,

No clue as if it was the first . It could ahve sat on a shelf for a while before being used .

Chris

Comment

Hi kenny ,

No clue as if it was the first . It could ahve sat on a shelf for a while before being used .

Chris
                Soon as I get validated from Rob, I'll start posting some pictures for all to see.

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

Cheers,

Rob
                  Here is a photo of the footrest mounts. The small holes are original, the larger holes is where the crude u-bolts were attached. As per my story, I had to cut off the foot rest and brake mount. The footrest are my biggest challenge in this project.

Rob, the silver footrest look similar to what was used on the Comerford's ISDT Challenger, maybe J.C. could identify for us.

Kenny
                  Attached Files

Comment

An update on XP3/1.

One of the biggest hurdles on the prototype is the footrest assembly.

After going over a few photos, this is what my engineer friend and I came up with.

We copied a U.S. spec MX5 folding footrest in function and came up with this preliminary design. We still need to figure overall length and rise of the peg.

We will incorporate a MX4 Challenger brake pedal and mount with the footrest assembly. Many pieces will have to be fabricated, with all parts being Heli-arc welded with Silicon bronze.

Cheers!
                    Kenny Sykes
                    Attached Files

Comment

Grffon Prototype update "Rust Never Sleeps"

Hi All,

Just a small update on the Griffon prototype. I spent most of this Sunday stripping down two motors, my 2T road twin and finally splitting the cases of the Griffon prototype. As you can see by the photo..."rust never sleeps"...what a pain this one was!

Getting there slowly for part II Colin.

Cheers,
                      Kenny Sykes
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X