Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Greeves

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
    Very nice indeed Ross! A marvellous find, and looks very original, apart from the hubs as you say. It also has the rare original lighting set fitted I see, which was listed as a 'factory option'. The last time one of those headlights (with brackets) came up on EBay (and I've only seen that one come up!) it went for silly money.....The rear lamp looks a little suspect though, although I'm sure we have the factory drawings for the right part-combined numberplate and lamp holder, if you want to go that way. Rear lamps to suit (pattern) are available in the trade. The seat also looks 'modified', although there are original types (again, pattern) available.

Rob has all the original factory drawings and can again be contacted through the club (see 'Leading Link'), although I might be able to help there too. I'll have a dig and see what I can find. If you send me a PM with your email address I can send you some stuff that way (as attachments.)

So, what I wanna know is....how come all these old Greeves keep turning up in Oz in such original and unmolested condition then eh?!! (I'm thinking of Geoff Lemars lovely and amazingly original 360MX4.) I think we should be told!

Fantastic bike Ross, many congratulations!

Brian.
    Hi Brian,
    I am unsure how many Greeves were imported in to Australia, but we are lucky that a good number have survived.
    I have attached a photo of a 1958 20SAS Greeves in my collection. I purchased this machine about 4 years ago from the widow of the original owner. He had died 25 years previously, but the bike had sat, covered up in a clean dry shed all that time. I have recovered the seat but nothing else.
    Attached Files

Original Greeves.

Hi Ross,

I've taken the liberty of moving this thread to 'Scrambles machines'; hope that's ok.

Once again, what a lovely original bike you have there! The climate in Oz must help in some way to preserve the old bikes so well. Whatever, it's a real treat to see such original and 'unmolested' Greeves, with that lovely patina hard won in the course of a full and eventful working life. They all have a story to tell don't they!

Thanks for posting the pic Ross. Got any more for us all to drool over here in the uk?!

Brian.

Comment

More Greeves

Good Morning Brian,

How about an MX5 Greeves?

This bike was owned by a member of my original club (Hartwell Motorcycle Club) and campaigned by him until his untimely and early death from natural causes. It then sat in a motorcycle showroom as a display bike for over 10 years.

After purchasing it, all I have done is clean the dust off and pump up the tyres. His original Cromwell helmet came with the bike.

A nice addition to the shed.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by rarpos7; 19/04/2012, 10:27 AM.

Comment

More Greeves.

Hi Ross,

Wow, thanks for the pics of yet another fantastic 'time machine' bike from your amazing collection !

It's great to know that they are now in the hands of someone who truly appreciates them, as I know you do.

I have to say I've always really liked that pale 'duck egg blue' colour of the tank and side panels, ever since I first saw one of the rare American TT (Flat track) bikes in that shade. Does anyone know the 'correct' name for it?

I wonder Ross, were there any specification changes made to the bikes exported to Australia or were they all pretty much as were for sale in the UK?

Also, what's the 'Greeves Scene' like down-under? Are you in touch with any other Greeves enthusiasts and is there any sort of 'network' for you all to communicate and get together (apart from the GRA forum now, of course!) What is the spares situation like?

And I don't suppose by any chance you've got any more pics to post when you get a minute...? (yes please!)

Comment

Don't encourage me Brian,

How about another MX5. This one was a US import that has been brought back to UK specifications by change of fuel tank and front wheel.
          This bike was ridden at the 2010 Australian CMX Championships, and gained placings of a 2nd and two 3rd's in the Pre 70 250cc. Not with me on it.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by rarpos7; 30/05/2010, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Not at all Ross! This is exactly what the forum is all about, and it's great that you are posting with pics of all your fantastic bikes. The more the merrier I reckon!

As I'm sure you're aware, we have a national Greeves MX championship here in the UK, run by Dave Harper (ex Greeves Factory employee) as part of the Pre65 MX Club's events. Our very own Adrian Dickerson (GRA Spares coordinator) is the current holder of the Hawkstone class title.

I'm sure everyone will be delighted to see this fine machine! Keep 'em comin' Ross, and thanks again.

Comment

Hi Ross, some lovely bikes there.

Sounds like you're pretty good at tracking them down.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

We'll have to see if we can get a gallery going; I think the software allows it.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

OK, This is the last one for today.

A 1964 MX Challenger Scrambler.

I bought this as an absolute wreck but with time and money it has turned out a nice machine.

Mudguards, shocks, wheel rims and seat from the UK. Back hub from the US. (There was a front wheel with the bike) Lots of local spit and polish.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by rarpos7; 28/05/2010, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Fantastic restoration job Ross, looks a real beauty now!

That first pic made me smile though....don't ask me why, but there is something almost comical about that pic, if you see what I mean!

I've seen 'em turn up in some states, but boy that's something else! Lots of spit and polish indeed then! I kinda like the Dulux 'GREEVES' logo on the tank too!!! (Don't worry, they'll soon be here with the white van etc etc!)

Brian 'Basket Case' Thompson.

(Thanks Ross!)
                  Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/05/2010, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Today's Greeves

A 24MDS Greeves scrambler.

I bought this in bits, but some restoration had been started, hence the white frame.

Now been completed about 2 years.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Original Greeves.

Another stunner Ross.

Interesting pipe on that bike, kind of a divergent 'mega' with a stinger on the end. Is it an Australian aftermarket job, or maybe a 'special'? Never seen anything quite like it before!

Some interesting looking bikes in the background (pic 2) as well......! (especially that Duke!)

Comment

Brian,

The pipe is an aftermarket, probably a home made item that came from one of my other MDS machines. I will eventually get around to having a more original exhaust fitted. Does anybody know of any "Mayfield" units for sale?

As for the other bikes in the background, the Greeves was on display for a short time in the museum maintained by Motorcycling Australia (the equivalent to the ACU). The Ducati is one that was raced in Australia by Mike Hailwood in the 1977 & 1978 Castrol 6 Hour event. Very historic. The Yamaha TZ750 next to it is the machine that Jack Finlay won the FIM F750 World Title on in 1975.
                        The Greeves was in good company.

Cheers,
                        Last edited by rarpos7; 30/05/2010, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Hi Ross,

I've seen a few Mayfield exhausts come up on EBay over the years, but they are quite a rare item to come by it seems, sadly. I know that years ago the GRA looked into having a batch 're-manufactured' and they turned out very well by all accounts. Does anyone know if the fabricator is still around? (I realise it was quite a while ago!) Mind you, I reckon that pipe looks great Ross, even if it's not original! Otherwise, I reckon EBay might be your best bet, although a wanted ad in 'Leading Link' might be worth a try as well. (Contact Colin and I'm sure he'd be happy to pop one in for you.)

I thought I recognised that Duke! I've been into bevel-drive Dukes for years and have an old 900SD in bit's (obviously!) in me shed, taking up valuable Greeves space! You may be interested to know that my partner Wendy's mother is good friends with Mike Hailwood's widow, and I'll bet Rob will be interested to see that TZ too. He's raced a few over the years, in addition to his Silverstone of course.

And here's me thinking that pic was of your 'other' garage...!

Ahhh....we can all dream, can't we....!

Comment

And here's me thinking that pic was of your 'other' garage...!

Ahhh....we can all dream, can't we....! [/QUOTE]

Brian,

My "other" garage!
                            That could be a discussion in the non Greeves area.
                            What other bikes, cars, trucks, odd engines, etc do GRA members have tucked away?

Ross
                            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 30/05/2010, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Great idea Ross!

Brian.
                              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 30/05/2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X