Greeves Engine Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Engine Identification

I have an engine and gearbox which I was told is Greeves Silverstone. The engine has no numbers on it only “Albion” cast on the left hand crankcase. The barrel has no markings on it but the head has “Greeves” cast into it. Primary drive is Albion and the gearbox has SP4 10/65 and RCV 590 stamped on it. Fitted into what I was told was a Spondon frame it has a carburetor and expansion chamber exhaust. The only thing I can see missing is a small round cover over the points assembly. The engine has not been run for over 30 years but turns over freely and the piston is stamped as standard.

I want to sell this but don’t know exactly what it is or what sort of price it might fetch. Can anyone help?

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/1014527...642217470555/]

Pure speculation this, but Greeves did experimentally use some Alpha-manufactured crankcases on some of the works scramblers when they were starting to develop the Challenger. Some parts might be from one of those.

RAS Silverstones (1963) had Villiers 36A engines with Greeves alloy square barrel cylinders.
    All subsequent Silverstones (RBS to RES) 1964-1967, had the Greeves-manufactured competition engine, also used in the Challenger scrambler.

What you have is not a production Silverstone engine, but it might be somebody's "special".
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 15/03/2014, 06:18 PM. Reason: Correction: Change "Albion" to "Alpha"
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamA View Post
      I have an engine and gearbox which I was told is Greeves Silverstone. The engine has no numbers on it only “Albion” cast on the left hand crankcase. The barrel has no markings on it but the head has “Greeves” cast into it. Primary drive is Albion and the gearbox has SP4 10/65 and RCV 590 stamped on it. Fitted into what I was told was a Spondon frame it has a carburetor and expansion chamber exhaust. The only thing I can see missing is a small round cover over the points assembly. The engine has not been run for over 30 years but turns over freely and the piston is stamped as standard.

I want to sell this but don’t know exactly what it is or what sort of price it might fetch. Can anyone help?

Thanks for posting those interesting pictures. It would help to get a long shot of the machine without the fairing to see the layout of the frame better. Some frame builders frames are easily identified by the set of the frame.

It's worth what anyone interested is willing to pay I guess. Regarding information, you could try posting on the CMRC forum (classic motor cycle racing forum) There are a few members on there that know a bit about Greeves racers.

Regards,
      David.

Comment

Mystery motor

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpha Motor 030.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	57488

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpha Motor 031.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	57489This is an "Alpha" motor that was built as a super strong Villiers copy.
        An Albion gearbox was used with various top ends.
        I have attached some photos of one of these motors that is fitted to a Cotton scrambler.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by rarpos7; 15/03/2014, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Good post. The motor that is pictured in the first post definitely has a Greeves Silverstone barrel and head fitted to what now looks like an Alpha bottom end. It would be interesting to know what lies behind that chain case cover.

Comment

Greeves Engine Identification

Thanks to all for your replies so far.

I have added photos of the engine out of the frame and one of the full frame, see link below.

I will try the suggested forum and try to get a photo of the primary drive.

Graham

Comment

Working...
            X