Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > Non-Greeves > Non-Greeves motorcycle chat

Old 09/11/2017, 11:41 AM
Basic User

No offence taken John. You may have guessed that I work for the Police and we are frustrated that we cannot do more. This is yet another theft that causes people heartbreak and grief.
I hope the Police have created ‘stolen’ markers on the PNC (police national computer) on each bikes record and a Police Record for any that are not road registered. It’s important to record engine and frame numbers accurately.
As I say John, no offence taken.
Old 09/11/2017, 12:57 PM
GRA Member

One positive step that owners can take is to fit a tracking device. Has anyone any knowledge or recommendations for these? They seem to vary in price from relatively cheap ones around £50 to expensive ones in excess of £250. Obviously there is a difference, but would a cheap one give basic tracking? I think they all work by GPS. A coach operator I know has them fitted on all his buses & coaches and he can at any time see where they are on his computor.
Whilst a tracker will not stop the bike being stolen it should aid recovery, and maybe if a sticker is attached saying "This vehicle has a tracking device fitted" it may deter thieves.
Old 09/11/2017, 05:02 PM
GRA Member

As with alarm systems, hiding them on a bikes is difficult! The normal MO with pro car thieves is to park the vehicle for a couple of days to see if it gets recovered. With a bike, they can normally see a tracker device and put it in a skip, or just smash it. Maybe Smartwater should be broadened to cover 2 wheels of both powered and non-powered types.
Old 09/11/2017, 05:36 PM
GRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Catt View Post
As with alarm systems, hiding them on a bikes is difficult! The normal MO with pro car thieves is to park the vehicle for a couple of days to see if it gets recovered. With a bike, they can normally see a tracker device and put it in a skip, or just smash it. Maybe Smartwater should be broadened to cover 2 wheels of both powered and non-powered types.
Good point Brian but would they spend time looking for a tracker at the time they nick it, if the theft was discovered in time it could be tracked while still in transit in a van. Are not trackers small enough to hide on a bike like under the seat or tank. Easier on a road bike than a comp bike maybe.
Old 09/11/2017, 07:27 PM
GRA Member

Very sad to hear this growing rate of thefts that is rife, my Son in law used to work for the environment agency, and at two of our container docks on the east coast were targeted a few years back to check out what was in the containers carrying waste overseas, and they found Range Rovers and high class cars inside hidden the rubbish!! so getting bikes out of England is going to be even easier for them Europe is a quick hop , Autojumble and Auction sales must be more responsible in what is being sold but policing it is another matter. E bay has encouraged the situation as well.

Old 10/11/2017, 10:30 AM
Basic User

I see the Cambridge News has published an address now....
Old 11/11/2017, 10:40 AM
GRA Member

Default Targeted bike theft

The report in Cambridge News http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...bikes-13876385
Old 11/11/2017, 12:07 PM
GRA Member

Such a shame - I notice that the bikes were kept in a barn which is probably not the best place (possible remote from house, with easily forced locks). These days unfortunately assets have to be protected with everything available - alarms, CCTV etc.
Old 11/11/2017, 12:20 PM
GRA Member

As the article says Mike Hobbs is the chairman of the Anglian section VMCC. (and a past GRA member) He starts runs from there so lots of people know of his collection, he used to open up the sheds for members to view the bikes. Not a good idea, not saying that VMCC members went back and nicked his bikes, but people talk and the word spreads, could have been the result of an overheard conversation in a pub.
Old 03/12/2017, 09:57 AM
GRA Member

On a positive note, I am pleased to report the recent return to its rightful owner of a DOT trialler stolen 6 months ago. It turned up for sale at yesterday's Kempton show and was recognised by two friends attending, who alerted the local Constabulary. I cannot commend highly enough the response of Surrey Constabulary for sorting this matter so effectively and efficiently.