No announcement yet.

Griffon QUB rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am now putting the finishing touches to the two bikes and getting them "race fit".
    Fitting Kill buttons and new tires and generally making sure all the nuts are tight.
    I was looking for tank stickers and came across an envelope from Terry Silvester.
    These are things I bought in May 1998 for my 250 Griffon I was racing at the time. I remember buying all sorts of bits like a 2nd gear for my MX5 for example.
    Does anyone know who bought the stock or has it all been used ??
    Attached Files

Comment

• Terry Silvester

I believe that Villiers Services bought all Terry's stock.
      If the club have not got the stickers you require try Steve at Villiers Services.
      Mike

Comment

• 'Classic Transfers' - Greeves Stickers/Decals.

Or.....http://www.classictransfers.co.uk/pa...-h/greeves.php

Brian.

Comment

• Thanks Mike and Brian,
          All help and suggestions are always gratefully received.
          Think I am coming near the end of this marathon post.
          Pictures and video's to follow in next post which should end this thread nicely.
          Craig

Comment

• The last post

Thank you for everyones help throughout the build. Should have done them one at a time but just got carried away.

Both bikes are going and have been round the field for two days now finding and sorting out all the problems.

The 250 needed the gear and rear brake levers sorting out so that my feet could find them. Then I welded on lots of dimples onto the footrests to stop my feet slipping off the smooth foot pegs.
            The 250 started and has run faultlessly but I fear Dave's suggestion of getting the roller bearing replaced by Nametab may be good advice as I can feel the slightest movement in the stefa ignition rotor which can only get worse.
            The front forks are finally working well after I put some oil in them although I think that the oil is a little heavy at SAE 30 and will change to 20.
            On this bike I did not take the gearbox apart and it works really well (maybe thats why it works). The clutch was good and relatively light but after todays run it started tightening up and now needs a proper two handed pull. I remember a post from Dave, I think, that showed how to adjust the lever arm to make it lighter. Definitely need to do that.
            Therefore last thing to do on the 250 is to get the clutch sorted.
            I rode the 250 first and thought that the power was good and very useable....... then I rode the QUB.

The QUB has not been as straightforward to get going as the 250 mainly due to the new PVL ignition slipping on the crank and also trying to use the "air forks" without springs. Both easily fixed. Fit the PVL properly and stick the bloody springs back in.
            The gearbox on this bike works ok but I have recently got a Geoff Nunn serviced box which I plan to put on. It has semi-wide ratios but the QUB has more than enough low down power to handle this. It might even help keep the front wheel on the ground.
            The rear brake lever needs set and apart from that just needs ignition properly fitted to be ready for racing.
            I will post some photos and here are some links to youtube. One for the 250, one for the QUB and one of my 14 year old daughter riding the 250 for the first time, watch out guys.

Video, teilen, Kamerahandy, Videohandy, kostenlos, hochladen

Thanks Guys.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Really really the last post
              Attached Files

Comment

• Really very last post honest.

Just fitted a NEB clutch to the QUB, very very good.
                I had tried Dave's tips to make the clutch lighter and they worked well but this is in a different league.

Two finger operation and can even find neutral with the engine running

Last picture is my first race on the Greeves Griffon QUB 380 since the rebuild from a pile of boxes stored 20+ years ago.

END.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Nice one craig, great to see your bike out where it belongs........hope u`r first ride put a smile on your face....makes all the grief worth while does`nt it....
                  The riding gear looks the biz to....shame about the mudguards though..............

Comment

• Dave,
                    Massive smiles which made up for the fact that I was lapped more than once by the leaders. Started getting a "feel" for the bike, had a few good power slides, pulled some nice wheelies, pulled a groin and hurt every muscle I thought I never had. Massive smiles.
                    Riding gear is a work in progress, still trying to find my original boots, these new ones are hard to change gear in.
                    Plastic mudguards are for people that go fast enough that they might crash

Comment

• Entry for my alloy mudguards has been accepted at Maylandsea on 30th.

Comment

• Project complete
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Watch this space

Another "winter project" thats been lying in boxes for 20 years will be started shortly.
                          After this last QUB rebuild you would think I know better but I have wanted one of these for as long as I can remember.
                          I will post all the pictures as I go.

Craig

Comment

• Go to the MK2 rebuild post to find out more
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Here is a nice picture of the bike at a recent meeting getting a bit of expert fiddling by Terry.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Still going strong
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X