Scramble near Oswestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scramble near Oswestry

Through a local motorcycle club here in the State, I met a guy whose grandfather raced a Greeves at some meets in the U.K. He shared the only photo that he has of this and I asked if I could share it here to see if anyone knows any more about it, or him, or the local area. The photo was taken near Oswestry and if you Google Earth 'B4579', you can see the barn and area where the scramble took place. The gentleman on the far left, with the number 1 on the plate is apparently Ken Champion, and he is riding a Greeves in the photo. Any detectives in the group? Anyhow, thought it was worth sharing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8252.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	64445
    Last edited by Lmpetersen; 07/02/2018, 05:11 AM.

Great pic, I like the leaders (No4) attire, sports jacket, trousers, collar and tie. So much for health and safety and protective clothing those days. He is wearing a pudding basin helmet though. His bike looks like a 350 or 500 BSA with road registration plates LLG6?? a 1948 Cheshire mark, which probably dates the pic to between 1948 amd 1950, too early for a Greeves.
    Regarding Ken Champion (No1) I dont think he is riding a Greeves, the forks look like teles and the exhaust is exiting on the RH side of the bike, all Villiers singles had exhaust port on LH side.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 07/02/2018, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Yes, great photo - guess he is leading as he was the only one that cottoned on to the fact that goggles were a good idea!

Comment

Scrambles at Oswestry......

Hi Loren,

Here you go.....this link is to the excellent 'Speed Track Tales' website, and a page with lots of info (and more great pics) about scrambles at Oswestry back in the day; https://speedtracktales.com/2012/04/...and-roy-evans/

The Oswestry and District Motor Club (founded in 1921) is still going strong, and here is another link to their website; http://www.oswestrydmc.co.uk/index.html

Here is another link to their 'Gallery' page with more great pics to see; http://www.oswestrydmc.co.uk/gallery.php (Click on the 'Old School' image for classic pics.)

The 'Speed Track Tales' website is well worth a good trawl through for loads of historic off road competition info, especially ISDT related, and of course, there is quite a bit of interesting (and informative) Greeves stuff/pics dotted around the place as well.

Hope this helps in your research and happy reading!

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/02/2018, 01:40 PM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          Great pic, I like the leaders (No4) attire, sports jacket, trousers, collar and tie. So much for health and safety and protective clothing those days. He is wearing a pudding basin helmet though. His bike looks like a 350 or 500 BSA with road registration plates LLG6?? a 1948 Cheshire mark, which probably dates the pic to between 1948 amd 1950, too early for a Greeves.
          Regarding Ken Champion (No1) I dont think he is riding a Greeves, the forks look like teles and the exhaust is exiting on the RH side of the bike, all Villiers singles had exhaust port on LH side.
          Between 1948 & 50......whats to say the bikes not 20 yrs old when the pic was taken....who is gonna put a almost new rode bike around a scramble track.....

Comment

They wouldn't be wearing clothes like that in 1970, would they?

Comment

Who said its a road bike? BSA were making B33 & B34 scrambles models back in 1948, and many scramblers (like Greeves some years later) were road registered from new as back in the day they were ridden to and from the event, which would have been the case at this scramble. Yes you would ride a brand new bike in a scramble as you would today.
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 07/02/2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                No Ian, they would not, but that was just a throw away example, having said that, folk down deep south are still wearing this style of garment.......p

Comment

Now then you two!

To be fair, Dave, it is still typical attire for Cornish farmers on their tractors to this day.... No disrespect to them, mind, you don't get more off-road than that!

Comment

Bikes pictured pre-date the era of ball ended levers. Also, is that a Cadburys logo on the box van behind rider 22.......
                    Last edited by Phil Hyde; 07/02/2018, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I can post this because I posted something sensible earlier in the thread for Loren..

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                      ......I was.

(Actually I was only ten in the attached pic.....as for the pipe, well, things were different back then....)

I soon ditched the tweed when nylon was invented though.......

bRiAn.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/02/2018, 09:50 PM. Reason: Pics attached....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                        Bikes pictured pre-date the era of ball ended levers. Also, is that a Cadburys logo on the box van behind rider 22.......
                        Ball ended levers became mandatory after the death of Cambridgeshire rider Mike Weedon in the early 1950's. Mike was a member of Cambridge Matchless Club along with Brian Stonebridge. For many years the club ran a Mike Weedon Memorial Scramble

Comment

I have to say that I remember my Dad showing me the new Ball-End levers after that unfortunate incident involving Mike Weedon. Sadly footrests were another problem.

Comment

Great info

Thank you all for the replies! I love this kind of stuff, and I will let the relative know that the Oswestry club still exists....maybe he will have luck there finding his grandfather. With a name like Champion, I think it should be easy if any records exist....

Comment

Oswestry Club etc....

That's great Loren, and good luck with your research.

Come back and let us know how if you find out more.

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                              X