No announcement yet.

Griffon Enduro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you are correct about the ribbed seats, as quite a few photos show them. The ribbed seats were thinner at the rear end. The Jeckel Industries advert is the same seat as mine which is thicker at the far end. Kenny said that mine would not be on his Nicholson list as it is an East Coast bike. Perhaps the seat difference is down to the different specification of the two main USA importers?

West Coast Enduro?

Comment

The 250 Griffin Enduro above is XFW119J frame No 60N188 sold in Bonhams auction at Stafford 10/13 for £2350 now owned by Villiers Services.
      The East Coast dealer was the Randy Wilson well known for marketing non Greeves factory spec bikes ie the 325 East Coaster, advertised on his own codged together literature. What we dont know (and probably never will know as he is now dead) is whether he imported main components frames etc from Greeves and built the bikes up himself with possibly other USA sourced components.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/01/2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Nice photo of the red bike. Note the low-mounted front mudguard as well.

Comment

On the question of the seat, Greeves did fit a longer seat on some of the early scramblers with the idea that the rider could then shift his weight about easily.

On an enduro bike it could also be a comfort thing for long distances, perhaps?
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Colin, I thought about the shifting weight around, however I not sure whether it is an advantage or not?

Brian, Steve Collins has a bike like the red one, same mudguard brackets, seat. If you check my bike and the Jekel
            advert then it is the single mudguard bracket under the yoke. Therefore I would think that either they produced
            2 different models of Enduro, East & West Coast or that my one
            is earlier and has a different seat and mudguard arrangement. Maybe Kenny has a poster of a Nicholson Enduro
            that might show whether they were the same or different.

Comment

The idea of a different spec for East and West distributors is quite probable due to the differing terrain. If you have a copy of the Jekel advert, I would like a good copy of it. We may need it in the future for registration purposes. Any dated magazine material would also be useful.

Comment

Hi Tony,
                PM sent

Comment

Griffon Enduro

The Greeves factory model list details 5 different specs for the 250 Griffon enduro and 6 for the 380.
                  They also had variations for desert scramblers.
                  All of these were for the US market. I've no doubt that Nicholson and Wilson both had their own variations as well.

Druid

Comment

Have you got copies of the different specifications for the 250 please John?

Comment

Griffon Enduro

Tony,
                      The list should appear shortly, either in the mag or the forum.

Regards, Druid

Comment

Well that rather commits me then!

I'd better get a move on and sort it out!

No more port and mince pies then!

Comment

Very interesting, thanks Druid!! Now we know what we are up against! I'll try to find the FIM list for Classic Enduro machines to see if the Griffons were added.

Comment

VMCC Calendar

Received my 2018 calendar today. December has a nice picture of an enduro Griffon. Doug Plester, was a GRA member, but don't know if he frequents this forum.

Comment

Shame about the background. Nice bike, though not too sure about the seat...
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

It is a bit grainy, but considering all the makes out there, any mention of a Greeves is most welcome and two years on the trot.

Comment

Working...
                                X