25SA Renovation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Pattinson View Post
    Hi Adrian, Good luck with the Hawkstone Twin. I hope to see you out on it this season.
    Are there any decent fork rubber bushes about at the moment as the good ones seem to have been replaced with really stiff unyeilding ones that are no good for trials. They may be ok for scrambles but not for you as you are so light. Probably ok for a Tri-Greeves.
    I do hope that you avoid the seizing problems that the twin suffered from, good idea to have a word with Simon Bateman as to clearances...John.
    Hi John, it's good to hear from you. Will try to get it out for this season but it will be later on, possibly.
    I've not found a problem with the recent front Bushes, I fitted the first pair of Scramble grade(50 Shore hardness) from the last batch made and they've been fine, even for my light weight. They are also available in a softer grade(45 Shore hardness). I do confess to making sure that the shocks I fit, damp on the return only, if they damp both ways then, for sure, the combination is too hard, but I've always found this to be the case. I'm not sure if you'll approve, but I usually sort clearances in the bore by inducing a seizure, then dressing the high spots off of the piston. To date, with the single, I've only had to do it once on each occasion. I wonder if I'll be that lucky with the twin?

Comment

[QUOTE=dave higgins;9441]Yeah, it looks like good clean bike to start from, apart from the link arm mod, by mr blobit the welder..
      QUOTE]

Sadly, Mr Blobit the "welder" has left an indelible mark upon the bottom loop, which must now be replaced with a new tubular section. Initially I thought it had been brazed, but when it came to removing the offending item, John Fryatt tells me that brass had only been flowed on top of Mr Bolbit's handiwork. It's either replacing the tubular section, or finding another loop!
      Onwards and upwards is the saying, or is it one step forward and two back. Never mind, on the plus side we've discovered one 3T Barrel from a fellow enthsiast, so all we need now is a mating half and we shall definitely be taking one step forward.

Comment

Adrian - I hear I might be the transport medium for said 3T barrell! Didn't realise you knew my old pal Porky! Going round to see him on Wednesday and no doubt get conned into something Greeves-related!

Rob

Comment

Bottom loop

Sorry Adrian, I had got behind with my Forum reading, not realising you were on look-out, too, for a bottom loop.
          I still have the one I had mentioned to "our" Rob, before he said he was after a complete set of forks.
          The loop can be your's, if you can settle with Rob? I was gifting it to him in exchange for parts I have taken from his 9E unit.
          John

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            Adrian - I hear I might be the transport medium for said 3T barrell! Didn't realise you knew my old pal Porky! Going round to see him on Wednesday and no doubt get conned into something Greeves-related!

Rob
            Hi Rob, I didn't, until he phoned last week. He seems a damned nice chap and we were able to do a swap that suits us both, hence you being commandeered into transporting the barrel to me. It's really good of you and most appreciated. Will your transport take the additional weight!

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
              Sorry Adrian, I had got behind with my Forum reading, not realising you were on look-out, too, for a bottom loop.
              I still have the one I had mentioned to "our" Rob, before he said he was after a complete set of forks.
              The loop can be your's, if you can settle with Rob? I was gifting it to him in exchange for parts I have taken from his 9E unit.
              John
              Thanks John that's brill, I'm sure Rob will go along with that. If not I'll give a chinese burn, just like any other older brother would, given the circumstances.

Comment

Older brother? surely not, must be all that emu oil, you use adrian...
                Hows the motor rebuild going, all well i hope, but in case you change your mind, its still not to late to cross over to the dark side, its all there waiting, triumph, bsa, briggs & stratton, to name but a few!
                There is a link arm on ebay at present, don`t no what model though, but has bushes still fitted, which may be ok, worth a look. dave .

Comment

Hi Dave, a Briggs and Stratton, I could just about cope with the output from one of those and keep the track nicely mowed at the same time.
                  Thanks for info re the loop on ebay, it looks like it's off of a Roadster but JR has come with the goods on that front, thanks all. The Project is progressing about as well as the weather at the moment, so not very quickly despite good intentions, it's not a very appealing workplace when the garage is below zero. Nevermind, a thaw is promised so perhaps we'll pick up the pace a little when it eventually arrives.

Comment

Originally posted by ADickerson View Post
                    Hi Dave, a Briggs and Stratton, I could just about cope with the output from one of those and keep the track nicely mowed at the same time.
                    Thanks for info re the loop on ebay, it looks like it's off of a Roadster but JR has come with the goods on that front, thanks all. The Project is progressing about as well as the weather at the moment, so not very quickly despite good intentions, it's not a very appealing workplace when the garage is below zero. Nevermind, a thaw is promised so perhaps we'll pick up the pace a little when it eventually arrives.
                    I thought that you scramblers were tough !!!!!! It was only 44 degrees in my garage but it didnt stop me (I put the heating on !!!!). I,m putting my 25SA back together with the correct 2T in.(not 36A). I fitted a sidestand into roadster cradles.(its to stop it falling over when I get off it).Fitted the Hawkstone footrests.(what a pain that is).Fitted new steering races.Its starting to look like a bike now.Now its fitting the spaces and bolting the frame together.I just need my taper shafts ,crowbars and big hammers !!!!!!

Comment

44 degrees stuart, your a hard man! definately a four shredded wheat guy.
                      I didn`t even realise it was cold untill i was backing off the drive & ran over a penguin, then running to get it some help!, i slipped on some polar bear s""t...
                      Us soft southerners eh!

Comment

penguin, are you sure it was not a Nun

Comment

could be merlin, but when was the last time you saw a nun knocking around with a polar bear?

Comment

25sa

Apologies for being pedantic and a bit off topic, but the only time you'll see polar bears and penguins together is in a zoo. Polar bears are from up North, Penguins from down South. I reckon it was a Nun.
                            Druid

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
                              Apologies for being pedantic and a bit off topic, but the only time you'll see polar bears and penguins together is in a zoo. Polar bears are from up North, Penguins from down South. I reckon it was a Nun.
                              Druid
                              Pedantic, John! That’s not like you, have you cocked your leg over an East Coaster or similar! As for scramblers being tough Stuart, you are right, and we are, except when it comes to the cold and wet! Oh, and I’m not too keen on dust either! As for Nun’s, I’d better not comment further.

Comment

I received a 'Nuns Having Fun' calendar the other Christmas so if you need to identify the remains.........!!!!

Think I borrowed the nun's outfit from my fancy dress-hiring neighbours once too often!

...suppose this is a bit off-topic too - all Druid's fault!

Comment

Working...
                                X