No announcement yet.

Grumph's Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are talking about India, why not consider the 2LS Enfield brake? Check out on the Hitchcock's site. If assembled and "tuned" properly, it is a good stopper at modest cost.

Comment

Enfield brake

I was trying to keep everything Greeves or Triumph on the bike, although I have an Enfield Hub for my Triumph 2LS. I could get an Enfield brake plate as well, though I am not sure that they are as efficent as the Triumph 2LS. As I said I feel that even the Triumph is not that good compared to 'modern brakes'.

Comment

What a glorious piece, it went for $440.00. Thats the kind of item you would spend $10,000 to build a motorcycle just to have a proper place to display it.

: Mike

Comment

+ VAT and Import

I did look at it last night, by the time you add VAT, import duty and delivery it would be over £500.00 - still thats what you pay for hen's teeth

Comment

What might have been

With one of the best selling bikes in the UK being 'Traillies' who knows what Greeves would be producing today. Certainly a 'Grumph' would be in the marketplace.
            I ordered the badge from the guy who rides the combination that looks like it has just fallen out of a skip. Actually the bike must be quite realiable as I have seen him at many shows and autojumbles, Battlesbridge being the last one.
            Good value for a bit of fun

Comment

Now a Greevesfield

Just seen on RC Message board. An Indian Enfield with Greeves LL forks, dont know about rear it looks standard Enfield to me, & the hubs dont look like Greeves either. Its for sale at Bill Little's for £2950 http://www.classicbikesuk.com/3086Greevesfield.html

1979 Indian power unit & frame,Greeves front & back suspension & wheels.
              Engine up-rated from 350 to 535cc,high lift cams & light weight rocker system & push rods.Amal carb & open exhaust,electronic ignition & high power coil.Up-rated oil pumps.

Photo shows it with the "road" tank,I had a Greeves one for off road.
              Owner says
              "I had it up to 90mph on Peterborough parkway with plenty left but "bottled" it,skinny knobbly tyres not good at those sort of speeds."
              Attached Files
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 13/07/2011, 08:55 PM. Reason: Link to Bill Little's web site added

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the same one, but I've seen a very similar bike described as a "Greeves with an Enfield engine". Obviously, it's not. If you want a 535 Enfield motor, it's best not to start with a 350, as a lot of work needs to be done on the cases, moving the barrel studs out and making the big hole bigger! I wonder if he finds the Greeves brakes better than the Enfield ones? A lot of queries on RE Forums relate to poor braking, and the inability of their owners to tune 2LS drums to anything like their true potential.

Comment

A bit premature

New number plate came in the post yesterday, a little premature as Phil has only just made the plates for me. It is now registered as a Greeves 500 - funny I did not think they made one

Comment

Hi Tony
                    Cant see where you are coming from on this one, surely the bike is a Greeves with 500cc engine fitted so all would appear to be correct. It will remain a Greeves as thats what the frame is. If you try to change it to a Grumph; Tri-Greeves or what ever, DVLA will not accept it, in fact they may insist you apply for a single vehicle approval. You dont want to go down that avenue.

Comment

Not in the slightest bit premature.............. Just keep collecting the bits.

On that subject here are the photos of progress to date. Essentially the engine installation is complete. Next stage is to establish the seat height and footrest positions. Watch this space
                      Attached Files

Comment

Humour

Hi John,
                        It is registered as I wanted it to be a Greeves 500, Dave Pink advised before I registered it to make sure that is what I should do. I might well called it a 'Grumph', but it was a little 'prod' to those that believe Tri Greeves are not real Greeves, which mine obviously is as the V5 states it

Obviously my humour fell flat - on this occasion

Comment

Phil and Tony,
                          Great work, the conversion looks excellent!!! We want more photos please.

: Mike

Comment

Some more bits

I went to Cheltenham auto jumble today to pick up my Norton Commando hub

which 'Fred' has polished and skimmed for me so it matches with the TFS rear hub. The twin leading shoe plate is on it's way via parcel post.
                            There was not much else at Cheltenham for me so I went on to Bill Littles do just outside Swindon. I picked a 7" Triumph headlamp

shell for £7.00 - bargain. I have one that has been re-chromed but I thought I might get one painted the same colour as the frame to see if that looks better.
                            I also bought some Lucas Handlebar switches

for £35.00, these are hard to get hold of and I wanted a spare set as I have a habit of 'tumbling' off when touring roads less travelled.
                            Lastly I picked up the mudguards

which should look good against Moorland blue - whatever colour that turns out to be

If you have not been to Bill Littles it is certainly worth a visit - 60 classic bikes in his shed - beats most records by a long way, he has got a big shed though
                            Probably just as many bikers turning up on their classics of all shapes, colours and condition + free entry.

Comment

This should stop the grumph

I now have a Norton 2LS brake plate, unfortunately it is chrome plated so I have sent it off to be removed. If the chrome was in perfect condition I might have kept it, but it is pitted and will only get worse, particularly with the strong salt solution on British roads in the winter. Next job is to source a stainless steel spindle for the Norton hub which can be adjusted to fit the Greeves banana forks.

Comment

Hi tony, my experience with chromed alloy, is not good, ( assuming it is alloy ) you usually find that its the alloy under the chome finish that deteriorates & pits.
                                Alloy sweats & the moisture can`t escape the air tight chrome seal, i`ve gone down the same road with engine casings & diff housings etc, had them stripped & been handed back something resembling the surface of the moon!
                                A lot of chrome platers will not replate alloy for this reason,

Comment

Working...
                                X