Rangers etc at auction in USA Jan 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting up to 'big bike' prices

Yesterday's auction result -getting up to 'big bike' prices, and he needs to buy a tool box

The less original one made $5775

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
      Yesterday's auction result -getting up to 'big bike' prices, and he needs to buy a tool box

The less original one made $5775

Quite enjoyable watching the auction Tony (sure you enjoyed it too ). I had to mute the sound though as I couldn't stand that cattle auction style vocal delivery. I also learned through one of the bike descriptions that BSA merged to form British Leyland when they ceased trading (Shurely Shome mishtake). Overall though I thought that the british bikes commanded decent prices against other makes. I knew the second ranger would do well but didn't expect it to reach so high a price.

Comment

so 24CS160 $10450 (£7399) and 24CS221 $5775 (£4094) why the $4675 (£3314) difference?

Comment

The cheaper one is not so original, incorrect rack, wrong shock absorbers, wrong headlamp, no toolbox, non original paintwork at a glance. That said I think £3000 difference is a lot to pay considering all those faults are easily rectified - unless you are after total originality. The expensive one still needs a tool box and reflectors

Comment

I dont think we should take these prices as the norm. I think this was a case of a couple of very wealthy bidders who had gone along to bid for some exotic car or other bike and had a bit of 'loose change' at the end of the day & took a punt on the Greeves pushing the price into the oblivium. These 'high end' auctions, as featured in Wayne Carini's TV shoe I Go Chasing Classic Cars are selling cars into the millions of dollars, so a few grand on a bike is small money to these bidders.

Comment

I think it just reflects that the market had bidders interested in buying a Ranger, I don't think you can surmise anymore than that. The auction was full of British bikes and collectors were well aware of what was on sale.
              Last edited by tony; 29/01/2018, 10:41 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Working...
              X