SCAM Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCAM Warning

A word of warning an old email scam has reappeared.
    A GRA member has recently had a reply to one of his adverts put in the Classic glossy Mags also OBM for a Greeves 32DC frame. He received an email from from someone called Blake Handibode who says he is in the USA and had a Greeves 32DC he is breaking with an attached photo of 171VEV the 32DC that was ridden by Joe Dunphy to Milan in 1961. The photo was taken when it was in Historics at Brooklands auction in 2015 https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/a...rts-twin-32dc/ Luckily the member twigged it as a scam and broke off emails. SO BE WARNED.
    171VEV incidentally was sold in the auction for £4200 so is hardly likely to being broken for spares. Its showing on DVLA as untaxed since 1/2/90 but with no export marker (so still in UK)
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 24/01/2018, 09:29 PM.

Nice one John, it's incredible how many of these idiots are out there.

Comment

Just in case anyone hasn’t come across this one.
      Another scam doing the rounds is a text purporting to be from DVLA informing the recipient of a pending refund. You know the rest.....click on this link and provide your details so the money can be paid into your bank. A friend of mine had this one today.

Comment

I shall be buying the coffees at Telford, as my long lost relative in Africa has died and left me $50million ....

Comment

One possible way of spotting scams emails apparently from well-known companies is to click on your reply button and see the address the reply would go to if you did reply. If it is a scam it won't show the company email address. This even works where the email title is prefixed "donotreply"

Naturally this is not the complete answer, so stay suspicious even if the address does look plausible.

And of course don't click on "send"...
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Coffee at Telford

Hello Brian.
            To help you carry the coffees I have a green Greeves coffee tray which has holes for 6 beakers. It is grp and must have been used at exhibitions. If any one has information about such trays I would appreciate if it could be passed to me.
            Mike
            PS I will try to take a photo to show on here.
            M

Comment

A Works Prototype tray? Must be worth a fortune! I'll make a bid once I send the $150,000 to my helpful lawyer in Africa....

Comment

Working...
              X