No announcement yet.

Griffon 380....or 360....or QUB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....yeah, s'right bro...........and thanks for the advice on my chain issue too.....it WAS the cistern doobry fingy.....amazing!! How do you do it prof, respec' innit.

bRiAn.

Comment

Glad you did. I'd put time aside tomorrow for fettling, and if there wasn't a reply I'd have probably tried shimming it up anyway. for that timesaving advice I think I owe you a pint...well maybe a half....did I mention I'm from Yorkshire

Comment

Soggy, with this chain shimming lark, you would be amazed how difference a very little makes to the chain tension.

We now have the Griffon tank badges in stock. With any luck, they will be at both the Shepton show and also Telford.

Good to see you on here young Brian and also young Higgo!

Comment

Brian, glad we got that soted bud, try a bit of wd40 on your fingy & happy pulling from this moment on......
          As for that northen chap that was on hear a while ago, well! we drink pints down here & anyway.... wots a half?

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
            Brian, glad we got that soted bud, try a bit of wd40 on your fingy & happy pulling from this moment on......
            As for that northen chap that was on hear a while ago, well! we drink pints down here & anyway.... wots a half?
            My mistake Dave, I was forgetting that for you shandy drinking southerners, a pint just about equates to a half for us drinking proper beer oop norf.

cheers for info Rob.

SW

Comment

the beginning of the end....or the end of the beginning

I can hardly believe it but the bike, apart from the usual tweaks is done Its a cliché but I couldn't have done it without the support of the forum, so a bit thanks to everyone who has offered help and advice along the way. If I say so myself, its looking pretty sexy. Even the white on red numbers look sweet....come on, be honest, who's forgotten to get new numbers

Still not starting well though. Even with a little fuel down the plug hole to prime the system it doesn't always help, and needs loads of right foot to get it to fire. Has anyone experienced similar. I'm thinking, as the engine has been rebuilt, the tolerances might just be a bit tight. I will double check the timing also. Would trying to bump start be a better option just to get everything moving more consistently? Any advice appreciated.

I couldn't post without admitting to my usual buffoonery. The tank needed a couple of lacquer coats to cover the new tank badges - what could go wrong. 2 coats and the tank looked the dogs danglers. I got greedy and went for a third coat, and stupidly went for a thicker one too. I've since found that this is a schoolboy error, as the solvent can't properly escape from the surface. End result - more wrinkles then me grannies nighty Flatted it back and gave it a lighter finish coat but still some crazing. Bugger. It will do for now. I'll probably face plant on the first corner and knacker the tank anyway.

So all set for round 1 of the 2018 Greeves Championship. First outing for the bike and first outing for me. Really looking forward to it. If you haven't seen Brian's post elsewhere, Maylandsea is waterlogged so venue has been changed to Marks Tay. Hope to see you there,

Paul
              Attached Files

Comment

Paul, i didn`t realise they did polyripple artex finish in red!........
                Enjoy your w/end, we have the badger goss trophy over here in the south west........proper racing.....

Comment

Hi there, just one small point......take the stand off before that Demon Adrian spots it and throws you to the back of the Scrutineering queue!

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                    Enjoy your w/end, we have the badger goss trophy over here in the south west........proper racing.....
                    Its a shocker isn't it. if you didn't laugh you'd have to cry... though I think this effect is very trendy in the boy racer fraternity on engine cases. Perhaps it will start a trend.. or maybe not.

Any thoughts on the starting problem Dave, what would you do?

And Brian, yep side stand will come off for racing but its handy to have whilst in the garage.

Comment

• Paul what are the symptoms?

Comment

• Nice one Dave...So firstly what seems to be ok. I have a good fat blue spark at the plug so cdi seems ok and compression is fine. Plug is moderately wet with fuel after kicking over a few time so (some) fuel is getting through. I thought perhaps not enough fuel but if I drop a little fuel into the cylinder I get a backfire so there is ignition but engine doesn't fire.

If I have a spark and have fuel, all I can think can be wrong is the timing. I've only got tomorrow to get this sorted, so any advice to help me along gratefully received.

Comment

• Paul, assuming your motor is in good condition, & is breathing right, inlet & exhaust, ie no air leaks or blockages, then do some basic checks, you don`t say whether the engine has ever run, but anyway.
                          Is the amal mk 2 correct for the bike, ie, jetting, float height correct, check it is for a two stroke not four stroke, set it up on basic settings, air screw fully in, then back out 1 1/2 turns, correct number 3 throttle slide & needle on centre position, clean or clear air filter, no air leaks to manifold rubber, good fuel supply with vented tank cap.
                          Then go to your ignition, check the flywheel rotor key is not sheared, are the pick up coils clean & are the magnets on the rotor/flywheel clean & free from particles etc, check for security of base plate & wiring for chaffing etc, also follow the loom up to the cdi & onto the secondry coil for damage rubbing through etc.
                          Make sure the s/coil is well earthed, fit a non suppresant plug cap, again check ht lead for shorting, is the plug correct ie long reach & correct rating.
                          Then drain your crankcase of any fluid, fresh fuel, & try again.
                          Although you say you have a good spark, it could be your timing is out or the spark is breaking down under compression, electronic ignition, generally gives a very faint spark to the eye, but a much stronger spark under compression.
                          Motoplat is another story, your hands are more tied, with that system, contrary to what some say, it does not either work or is doesn`t, i have had them causing similiar symptoms to yours, but there is nothing you can do with them, its old transisterised units.
                          Is it spitting back through the carb or back firing through the exhgaust, a backfire is down to unburnt fuel in the exhaust,
                          Can`t think of much else at present, but try these checks first, oh one more thing, kill switch, is that shorting to earth.........enjoy.
                          Last edited by dave higgins; 30/03/2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• thats a list and a half. should keep me busy today! some things I think are ok, eg engine was rebuilt by VS so I assume they know their job; it has run - see disastrous start up earlier in this thread; all new jets in carb but I'll recheck settings; Fuel supply fine as I've been working from an external fuel reservoir so I'm not constantly on and off with the tank. cdi brand new also so hardware and wiring should be ok, but again as discussed earlier on thread I've had some issues with this Electrex World system - as it would appear others have. (it's either brilliant first time or a bit of a pig, judging from other peoples comments). Plug is an NGK B8ES. Backfire is through the exhaust. Finally kill switch seems fine - when I check for spark in traditional way with plug out and kick it over, I get a spark. If I do same check with kill switch pressed, I don't get a spark, so I assume this isn't the problem. Not sure how to check HT lead for shorting?

New air filters but I gather air box can suffer from hairline cracks which I can't rule out. Also boot between airbox and carb is questionable at best but I would haver thought these would only effect smooth running rather than initial start up?

Right.. into garage for me. Thanks again Dave, its not just a drink I owe you for all this - its rapidly becoming a full night out on the lash

Comment

• Paul, check you have an equal air gap around the rotor, it can make a difference, also, do not assume, because it is new, it is good.........not always the case, so check & double check, you will find it i`m sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                                OH NO YOU DON'T.....been cancelled!

Comment

Working...
                                X