Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 tes 250 mk2

Hi all,

I am a new member having just finished restoring a 1963 TES 250 MK2,I'm currently in the process of trying to get a v5 for it,the GRA have sent me a letter confirming that it was despatched from the factory in 1963 to the greeves agent J M Banks,cambridge heath,i have been scouring old archive photos looking for any pics of the bike,if anyone should see reg no.934GLM could you email me so i can track down where i can see it.Or does anyone know the best place to look,it had a hard life and was really battered when i got it used properly and is now back to like new.
    Thanks mark.

After looking on line,not sure if j.m.banks might have been john banks motocross rider,i think he may have done trial riding before motocross,any links to old photos of him trialling would be great to see. Thanks.
    Last edited by markd; 04/12/2016, 02:21 AM. Reason: found more info.

Mark

J M Banks is most likely Monty Banks Senior who was a well known rider in Scrambles and the ISDT. His shop was in Vallance Road, in the Cambridge Heath area of Bethnal Green. I believe his son Monty Banks Junior carried on with the business.
    John A - 268

Comment

Originally posted by John-Boy View Post
      Mark

J M Banks is most likely Monty Banks Senior who was a well known rider in Scrambles and the ISDT. His shop was in Vallance Road, in the Cambridge Heath area of Bethnal Green. I believe his son Monty Banks Junior carried on with the business.
      Indeed, it was Monty Banks, Monty being his second name I believe. It was his other son David Banks who later ran the business, Monty Jnr rode in local trials but I dont think he was actively involved in the business. He is/was a GRA member.

Comment

934 glm

Hi john,i have posted reply but cant see it on forum,might have got the process wrong as the computer age missed me,will try again if gone wrong,the post was to do with purple frame.
        Thanks

Comment

Indeed Monty banks

John boy is correct.. Monty was a good scrambler and rode in the isdt I believe..

My Dad purchased a 24mx4 short stroke from there in 1968.. Monty rode the bike in a few scrambles before selling it from his shop to my Dad. ( I managed to get it back after pestering Jim aim for it for ages.. Dad still has his original bill of sale )

Monty junior did go on to be a dealer also..

As to your bike it would be lovely to see some pictures please?

Scott

Comment

934 glm

Hi Scott,thanks for the reply,i will try to put some before and after pictures on but I'm not good with computer workings,i have tried to post more details about the bike twice now,but cant see them in the forum,i might have to edit my last post which i did in the first post to add info.
            Thanks Mark.

Comment

934 glm

Hi Scott,some more specs for the bike

Purple frame ,was originally blue
              Ally square barrel stamped M20 EXA
              S25 carb with long straight manifold bolted to head with three bolts
              Square wrap around exhaust header
              Full width ally british hubs
              Chrome dunlop rims
              Speedo between risers
              32A engine, numbers match despatch records

Wondered if this sounds like original parts, scott do you know the name of the garage where bike might have been sold from,it would be great to see a picture of the place.

Thanks Mark

Comment

Monty Banks shop was at 12/14 Vallance Road, Cambridge Heath London E1. Now Fairdeal Express and Interlink (see Google street view)

What is the frame number of the TES.
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/12/2016, 11:49 AM. Reason: Number of shop added & link to Google Street View

Comment

Indeed valance road

John is correct about Montys shop location.

From your description the bike sounds about right

Scott

Comment

tes250

Thanks everyone for all your help,havent had any luck in tracking down a photo of the bike shop,but will keep looking,

As I've now got a headed letter from GRA confirming frame and engine numbers being despatched to JM Banks,is this enough to take to my local DVLA testing station,i was thinking more evidence the better,pics of bike before restoration,an original tax disc from 1977 with the reg number on it,original front and rear number plates.

Would it help to get it mot'd by the frame number.
                    Is there anything else i should do before trying to get the V5 with the same reg number.

Thanks again.

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by markd View Post
                      Thanks everyone for all your help,havent had any luck in tracking down a photo of the bike shop,but will keep looking,

As I've now got a headed letter from GRA confirming frame and engine numbers being despatched to JM Banks,is this enough to take to my local DVLA testing station,i was thinking more evidence the better,pics of bike before restoration,an original tax disc from 1977 with the reg number on it,original front and rear number plates.

Would it help to get it mot'd by the frame number.
                      Is there anything else i should do before trying to get the V5 with the same reg number.

Thanks again.

Mark.
                      First thing is to contact DVLA on 0300 790 6802 to see if the registration number is in their archives, if it is then all you need to do us get form V62 (Application for V5C) from a post office & fill it in & send it with £25 fee.
                      If the number is not on the DVLA records you will need to prove a link between reg & frame No's a tax disc is no longer acceptable on its own as proof of number. You would need an old Mot cert or old buff or green log book, or copy of first reg record. GLM is a London mark and the old LCC records were destroyed so you cant get that, looks like you will need an age related number. DVLA will tell you how to go about that.
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/12/2016, 11:51 PM.

Comment

A couple of pics of TES

Here are a couple of pics Mark sent me as he is having trouble uploading them himself
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 06/12/2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment

More on Monty Banks

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
                          John is correct about Montys shop location.

From your description the bike sounds about right

Scott
                          Scott, I believe David Banks & Monty Jnr later had another shop in Stepney called The London Comp Shop. Have you any knowledge of that.

Comment

Working...
                          X