Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder won't start.

Any ideas?

Pathfinder was running quite happily a couple of years ago but other projects and work got in the way so it has been stood and now won't start. Has very clean carb, fresh fuel, good spark and compression measured at 130 but won't even so much as cough or splutter. I have never touched the timing so whilst that is a possibility I'm not sure how it could have got so bad that it won't do anything!
    Any thoughts gratefully received! (Before it comes, I am aware I could put a different engine in it but that isn't the point just now!!)

Many thanks,

Charlie.

Ps It may well be for sale so if that is of interest let me know.

If the bike has not been touched since it last ran then it wont be the timing. What about spark plug, whilst it may spark removed from head it may break down on compression. Try a new plug, if it will still not fire buy a can of Easy Start & give it a wiff of that in the carb, should then fire up. Then take it out for brisk run of 2 or 3 miles to clear the cobwebs out.
    I have a 2 stroke generator that I have to do that to after its been standing a few months. Goes first pull after a whiff of the 'magic stuff'.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 13/10/2016, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Forgot to say brand new plug, tried both Champion and NGK and all I've tried to do is start it, not touched the timing.
      Not tried the easy start so I will give that a go, thanks John.

Comment

Easystart is the worst thing you can put in a petrol engine.
        Petrol/air mix, when ignited gives a rapid burn, easystart has explosive characteristics & was designed for the much higher compression diesels.
        I know it says for all engines on the can, but if you want to knock your bottom end out, then carry on........

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
          Easystart is the worst thing you can put in a petrol engine.
          Petrol/air mix, when ignited gives a rapid burn, easystart has explosive characteristics & was designed for the much higher compression diesels.
          I know it says for all engines on the can, but if you want to knock your bottom end out, then carry on........
          I agree Easy Start is not a good thing to use on a regular basis but for a one off start like in this case it wont do any harm.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
            I agree Easy Start is not a good thing to use on a regular basis but for a one off start like in this case it wont do any harm.
            Shoudn`t need it, bad advise, get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.
            Every cowboy`s got a tin of easystart in his holster......

Comment

Is the plug getting wet? If so you need to check further into the spark, if not then, despite the plug looking clean, you may have a furred up pilot jet. That is very likely with this ethanol laced pump fuel we have to put up with. If you have an airline give it a good blow through, or better still a sonic clean and a blow through. Avoiding the Easy-Start controversy(!), if the plug is dry you could put neat petrol down the plughole, replace the plug sharpish before the fuel evaporates and see if it starts or at least fires then. If so then it is likely to be the carb, innit?

Note for when you do get it running, and depending where you live (where do you live? A prospective buyer will be interested in that) use Esso super unleaded, as in most parts of the country excluding the South-West, Scotland and I believe some areas of the North-East, it does not contain ethanol.

Comment

Do you use a castor based oil with your gas? If yes, here's what I've learned - the castor oil separates from the gas (especially when cold) and the engines will absolutely not start. I use Morris MLR with race gas. When I go to a race I have to drain the float bowls and any gas in the fuel lines, then fill the tank.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all your replies.
                  Ian, the plug hasn't been wetting as I would have expected but I have been draining some from the crank case. I have been using super unleaded but suspect that when I last started this bike I was't so will give the carb another going over, I know a guy with a sonic bath so will persue that. I have a number of bikes and am familiar with the fuel issue but have never had it this bad but it is always worth a mention. I have tried putting some fuel down the plug but still not even a cough or splutter, most odd!
                  Location is Hampshire, West Sussex, Surrey border. If anyone is interested in buying it please pm me and I will be happy to have a chat.
                  I'm not using castsor oil and even on a fresh mix it just stays quiet.
                  Thanks!

Comment

I can remember having a malfunction on our family Bantam that we traced to.......a bunged-up exhaust. All systems were checked and it wasn't until we dropped the pipe that it burst into life.

Comment

Are the crankshaft seals ok after the bike laying idle for a long time? if they are hardened and leaking, that could affect starting and running.

Comment

The fact that you can drain fuel from the crankcases yet the plugs are dry points to crankcase seals.....

Comment

pathfinder

Petrol goes stale after its been stored for some time. If in doubt fresh put som down plug hole if it fires and deis you got a blocked jet so a sonic clean would be a good Idea. good luck it will only be some thing silly if as you say it was ok. has it got good compression? remember" suck squeeze bang blow" you can't go wrong!!

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                            The fact that you can drain fuel from the crankcases yet the plugs are dry points to crankcase seals.....
                            Very unlikely to be crankcase seals if it was running ok previously, the seals would have had to deteriorate badly or blown out to prevent it firing, & there would be little or no compression. The fact that you have put petrol down the spark plug hole & it still wont fire would alleviate seals. Have you tried a bump start? The extra revs give a better spark & usually do the trick. I went to visit a member with a 25DC recently that had been laid up for a few months. Again it would not start on kick starter although it had been a good starter previously. Gave it a push start in second gear & it fired up within 5 yards & then continued to run ok.

Comment

Plug wet - Fuel in crank case needing draining..........points to too much fuel not too less......unlikely jets are blocked - but always worth a clean.

If mixture too rich - could be other probs like electrics causing crank to fill up after multiple kicks..........but also could be a sticking float or incorrect float height (too high) or a badly sealing float needle which would could cause flooding and mixture to be too rich to start ...worth a check whilst you are looking at the carb
                              Good Luck
                              Cheers Kim

Comment

Working...
                              X