X**!!!XXX Albion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X**!!!XXX Albion

Who is responsible for that pile of crap bolted to the back of a 360 Challenger engine?
    It is a complete nightmare to assemble there are no alignment marks to time the cam barrel to the selector.
    The detent plunger has a wedge shaped end to locate in a mating slot for each gear, fair enough but when you screw it in it rotates and ends up sliding over the slot.
    No wonder people fitted BSA gearboxes (four gears and only one neutral)

Nothing wrong with those Albion boxes after they have been set up right.
    As far as I know, there is only one person who can do it properly and that's Geoff Nunn. 01702 547813

EDIT: BSA box is OK, but only any good with Goldie close gears for your 360. ££££££

Comment

The gear detent is a complete abortion.
      My Suzuki uses a similar claw and pin selector. It has a disc with scollops and a spring loaded roller engages with the scollops.
      The Albion has shallow grooves (cut into the bearing surface) and a plunger that is free to rotate out of engagement. I am going to make a plunger with a conical or ball end to alleviate one problem.

Comment

I've had MX4 boxes to bits in my time and put them together all right, and worked fine. And I am not particularly skilled in such matters.

I wrote a stage-by-stage strip and rebuild guide for the Kidney and MX4 'boxes which was published in Leading Link. PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of the MX4 one.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Colin,
          Thanks for the offer but I have no problem building the gearbox, I have built more engines and gearboxes than I care to remember. It's just a bit of a rant about poor design.

Comment

Phil,
            With this gearbox (round cover cam barrel) Albion got it almost right. it is just let down by a few details

Originally posted by Phil Hyde
            Curious thought. When British touring car racing switched to sequential gearboxes leading manufacturers combined ideas from Japanese motorcycles and Villiers.

Comment

Originally posted by gribley View Post
              Colin,
              Thanks for the offer but I have no problem building the gearbox, I have built more engines and gearboxes than I care to remember. It's just a bit of a rant about poor design.
              Oh, OK. Sorry.

Hang on though, isn't coping with the design and manufacturing eccentricities of the past part of the fun of the classic bike scene?

Or maybe I'm a masochist...
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                I've had MX4 boxes to bits in my time and put them together all right, and worked fine. And I am not particularly skilled in such matters.

I wrote a stage-by-stage strip and rebuild guide for the Kidney and MX4 'boxes which was published in Leading Link. PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of the MX4 one.
                I am also not particularly skilled and find the round gearboxes easy to put together, Have a go at making a Kidney box work properly, now thats a different matter! if I PM you Colin could you send me of your guide please?

Comment

Reply to PM sent. Give me a day or two...
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thank you very much Colin, arrived yesterday, is there a secret to adjusting the selector mechanism, the box I want to put together has it in pieces

Comment

Originally posted by stormer254 View Post
                      Thank you very much Colin, arrived yesterday, is there a secret to adjusting the selector mechanism, the box I want to put together has it in pieces
                      I've not been inside one of those 'boxes for fifteen years (at least), so I simply can't remember. Sorry.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Kidney box

Going back 20 or so years my challenger frequently popped out of gear and I had to let the engine down to a tickover before it would go into gear.
                        I took it to Jeff Nunn who worked his magic on it and it has not misbehaved since.
                        He also rebuilt my 360 cam box with new gears from the late Frank Conley with the same reliability.
                        Meet him at any of the Greeves Championship meetings and ask for advice.
                        Mike

Comment

Not sure if I am going off topic here but I wondered why my MX2 kidney shaped gearbox lever has got so much travel up and down before engaging. I have noticed that some Greeves Challenger riders use the heel of their boot to shift up the gears. Is this correct? I rebuilt the gearbox myself using Colin's very useful guide and otherwise it works great. Thanks Paul

Comment

Albion boxes

See my posts on gear selection it tells all how to do it.

Comment

Thanks Stace - I'll take a look

Comment

Working...
                              X