Running in new engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running in new engines

As it takes (according to Villiers manuals), 1000 miles to fully run a new engine in,how do racers run their engines in . I always rebuild to the book as standard and wonder how they can run engines in so quickly.Please enlighten me.

Hi.

With my scramblers we always say get though a tank of fuel before giving it to many revs.. But that said I get bored of that very quickly!

I always run a new engine on a heavier oil mix just to help bedding in.. And most importantly I think is not to let the engine labour to hard and try to not let the engine get to hot..

1000 miles is ridiculous

Regards

Scott

Comment

I think there is a difference here between a road engine where you need reliability and long life with the minimum of overhauls and a race engine where wear and tear is acceptable to win races and it is pulled down regularly and rebuilt, more so with road racing. The engine is not expected to last.
      With a road engine carefull running in for 500 to 1000 miles can ensure the engine stays reliable and has a long life between overhaul.

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
        Hi.

With my scramblers we always say get though a tank of fuel before giving it to many revs.. But that said I get bored of that very quickly!

I always run a new engine on a heavier oil mix just to help bedding in.. And most importantly I think is not to let the engine labour to hard and try to not let the engine get to hot..

1000 miles is ridiculous

Regards

Scott
        Over the last 50+ years I have painted lines on my throttles at 1/4 open etc and very slowly and carefully run them in.I just wondered how you can give them full throttle so soon.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          I think there is a difference here between a road engine where you need reliability and long life with the minimum of overhauls and a race engine where wear and tear is acceptable to win races and it is pulled down regularly and rebuilt, more so with road racing. The engine is not expected to last.
          With a road engine carefull running in for 500 to 1000 miles can ensure the engine stays reliable and has a long life between overhaul.
          I don't understand how they can take the revs and abuse of racing so soon.Hailwoods Honda at 22000rpm etc.It didn't seize up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
            I don't understand how they can take the revs and abuse of racing so soon.Hailwoods Honda at 22000rpm etc.It didn't seize up.
            They probably gave more clearance on pistons etc. Also engines are built to a greater accuracy, hand built with better machine finish to start with.
            These days with better machining and manufacturing tolerances modern cars & bikes dont need the same amount of running in.

Comment

Back in the day with the Silverstone, there was no real opportunity for running in. Off to Brands for a practice afternoon, a few sensible laps and then gradually build it up. I used to have the barrel rebored with a thou or two of extra clearance which helped. I often used to check the piston afterwards for signs of trouble and file bits off!

With road engines, I always paid a lot of attention to running in. I even ran in my brand new BT van back in the day for 1,000 miles and it proved to be a much better van than those that did not bother.

I am just building a Royal Enfield for the Land's End trial with new big end, mains, piston, barrel, etc. I will run this in by doing a few longish rides carefully and then change the oil after 1,000 miles.

As has been said, there is a lot of difference between a competition engine that is pulled apart a lot and just about prevented from siezing and a road bike where reliability and smotth running is the key.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
                Over the last 50+ years I have painted lines on my throttles at 1/4 open etc and very slowly and carefully run them in.I just wondered how you can give them full throttle so soon.
                I'm only going by my own experience.. My hawkstone is very reliable in the engine department.. It's suffers more clutch/gearbox issues than engine probs.. That said I only poodle around on it

With my trials bikes I take more care to run them in.. They usually get better and better with use..

Regards

Scott

Comment

Running In New Engine- modern bikes

Perhaps I could quote from the Owners Manual of my Yamaha XMax- a "twist & go" scooter with a 400cc single OHC engine.
                  Engine break-in:-
                  There is never a more important period in the life of your engine than between 0 and 1600km (1000 miles).Do not put an excessive load on it for the first 1600km (1000 miles).....
                  Between 0 and 1000km (600 miles) Avoid prolonged operation above 4000rpm; then change the oils and filter.
                  Between 1000 and 1600km (600 -1000 miles) Avoid prolonged operation above 6000rpm.
                  1600km (1000 miles) The vehicle can be operated normally.
                  The maximum permitted rpm of this engine is 8250!
                  Therefore in spite of the high precision and tolerances Yamaha build their engines to they still believe in "running in"! Not sure what happens with Dealer Demonstrators though....

Comment

Working...
                  X