Grumph's Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daylight running lights

If that was the best way to do it then I sure BMW, Triumph et al would not have dual fog spots at the front of their flagship bikes. I am not totally convinced that lights, visible jackets make a significant difference to accident figures on cars pulling out on bikes anyway. There are many cases with lights on, visible jackets and motorbikes being hit, policeman as well. It is more about the lack of focus that a modern car affords the driver - hands free, easy to drive etc. On my last 7000 mile bike trip when visibility was bad we just stopped and waited for the weather to clear - better than any visibility aid.

Comment

I think you are right Tony, lights & high vis dont seem to stop the idiot driver pulling out. I had a big off a week or so ago, was filtering along a line of stationary cars when one old guy in a Rover 75 estate decided to do a U turn. No indicators, obviously did not check mirror. I had head light on & high vis jacket. I hit him about 15 mph & was lucky to get away with bruises. The bike a Yamaha T80 Townmate (luckily I was not on my Greeves) came off a bit worse for wear with bent forks & footrests. Managed to straighten footrests & found a pair of forks on eBay so it should be back on the road this week. Its getting a dangerous place out there on the roads now.
      The Rover 75 came off even worse as well as a damaged wing & sheared off mirror, the front suspension broke and the car could not be driven. Probably be a write off as an 02 plate Rover is worth zilch. Amazing what damage a 80cc step through could inflict.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        I think you are right Tony, lights & high vis dont seem to stop the idiot driver pulling out. I had a big off a week or so ago, was filtering along a line of stationary cars when one old guy in a Rover 75 estate decided to do a U turn. No indicators, obviously did not check mirror. I had head light on & high vis jacket. I hit him about 15 mph & was lucky to get away with bruises. The bike a Yamaha T80 Townmate (luckily I was not on my Greeves) came off a bit worse for wear with bent forks & footrests. Managed to straighten footrests & found a pair of forks on eBay so it should be back on the road this week. Its getting a dangerous place out there on the roads now.
        The Rover 75 came off even worse as well as a damaged wing & sheared off mirror, the front suspension broke and the car could not be driven. Probably be a write off as an 02 plate Rover is worth zilch. Amazing what damage a 80cc step through could inflict.
        Bikes will only be safe when somebody can create a hologram of a 40 tonner around the bike

Comment

High level air intake

I thought I would check out the floods in my local area on the T100c.
          I got my son to take a picture, embarrassingly I just got through as the engine stopped
          The carb had been covered and sucked a little water in - a few kicks and it started again
          It reminded me to put the grumph air filter, high enough, under the seat in order to keep it dry.

Good ride though

Comment

I can still see the headlamp - must try harder!! Good pic though, your son must be very loyal, I would have tried to get you to fall off somehow!

Comment

More likely the plug leads got wet - water in the engine is a no-no. Water, being incompressible does damage if it gets into the cylinder - bent conrod anyone? And for two strokes, it's not much of a lubricant either...
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Years ago, we laid out a trial on the Saturday and it then rained hard overnight. The next day, the stream was (much) deeper and little Dave Spicer on his little 125 Montesa almost disappeared from sight in the water. The bike had a good drink and all that happened was the cylinder head cracked! Just proves how strong Mont conrods were!

Comment

44 tooth cog

The elusive cog has arrived from East Restorations

Comment

Engine test

Evidence of the engine running as the stainless exhausts are a lovely golden colour.
                    I took the bike to SRM to get them to set up the electronic ignition and carburration.
                    Wired negative earth to take advantage of LED's and to use my GPS.

Comment

• Ride out today

Once the ice had melted I went for a ride on the 'grumph'. Runs really well however I must get around to getting the larger engine sprocket sorted as it is far too lively off the mark and too revvy at higher speeds?

Last edited by tony; 20/02/2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• Lighten the clutch

Can anyone recommend, used a clutch easy pull product to lighten the clutch. My clutch is quite heavy.

Comment

• good little units.

Hi Tony, yes they are very good for what they are, i used to use them on my h/stone front brake & i never managed to break one.
                          They have three different leaverage settings, but of course, the more the leverage, you use, the less the travel you have on the cable.
                          Last edited by dave higgins; 22/04/2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Dave, any particular brand or are they all the same?

Comment

• These are what i have used, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zSevtXlT5U
                              Most places sell them, around £15. usually on ebay, but can`t find any at present.

Comment

• Interesting video, until it got to the point where he said he had fitted a 'shorty' clutch lever. What does that do? Increases the effort required, by reducing the leverage!

I am not saying the device is not good, but tbh Tony, you shouldn't need it. Triumphs should not have a heavy clutch pull. When I got my T110, the clutch action was really heavy. One day I was in Ace Classics in London and checked out the clutch action on 7 or 8 Bonnies, T'birds and 110's, some of which had an even heavier pull than mine, some were way lighter. I discussed it with their mechanic, and it was all about the cable. I removed the lever and greased the lever pivot, greased the nipples at the levers both ends, used a chain oiler to pump oil through, and carefully checked and adjusted the cable run. It all sounds basic stuff, but the difference was like a transformation. It now has a light, 2-finger clutch pull.

If you have already done this, then my apologies for stating what might sound like the bl##din' obvious! In my view it is always best to start with the basic stuff first, because somewhere there is a reason why your clutch pull is so heavy.

Dave's situation was different, because he was racing, and probably had really heavy duty clutch springs fitted, in which case a device like this would help.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                                X