Scottish rear wheel offset.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish rear wheel offset.

This may sound a bit simple,but I am rebuilding a rear wheel and need to know the centre line of the rim as regards the swing arm. It seem that the old rim was nearer the none drive side as the steel tube shows signs of wear,but chain side ,not a mark.This is not as simple as it sounds as I have measured several Greeves that are all together and being used,but all of them are slightly different,with a 400 trials tyre fitted most are just clearing the arm on none drive side, the fact that the arm is tapered does'nt help,the bike is still in bits so I can't assemble and work back, if anyone can help,I can then finish the wheel off before moving on to next part.Thanks Derek.

Scottish Rear Wheel

Derek,

If you put "Scottish rear wheel" into the "Search" facility on the forum, there should be some useful information.

Comment

scottish rear wheel.

Thanks buzzer ,But no good as I'am building a special with disc brakes front and back,therefore no drum to use as datum. Hence I need the actual measurement taken wheel in fork (swing arm ) Thanks Derek.

Comment

Derek, you have a Private Message.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Scottish rear wheel

I Quired this with Hagons before having the wheels rebuilt on a 1960 scottish & was told to measure from outside face of drum to edge of rim it should
          measure 1 inch.Thats what they rebuilt them too. Hope this is if some help.
          Pete Nev

Comment

Rear wheel offset for a '62 TD Scottish

Have just bought a '62 model Scottish which requires the wheels rebuilding. Have seen various offsets quoted on here for different year models but all seem in the range on 7/8" to 1". The 62 has a diferent part number for the wheel and from what I read a different swinging arm. Is the offset different please?
            Info on front wheel offset also appreciated.
            Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Didnt get an answer to my question re wheel offsets for my 62 TD Scottish all those years ago. has anybody got this information now please?
              Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

When I rebuilt my 60TCS Scottish, I had Rims and spokes pre cut, supplied by a GRA member.
                I just Used the swing arm as a jig and set the rim In the centre, and front centred between front forks.
                No problems with my 4.00x18 Trials Tyre. I also run an Original pattern chain guard
                That was the advice from the GRA member who supplied parts. Apparently he had worked for Greeves as a wheel builder..
                Mind you that was over 25 years ago.

whitehillbilly

Comment

I've just done similar for a 20TC. Built central to the hub flanges. Just cleared the s/a until I fitted the chain guard! Will therefore just move it to the non drive side a few mil. Tight with a 4.00 tyre.

Comment

Working...
                  X