1963 isdt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 isdt

Found this profile in the book Classic British Motor Cycles, 1984.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wfo47w; 28/01/2016, 08:23 AM.

The bike pictured is 458 JOO (24IN146) listed on DVLA as last taxed 1980 Ex P Stirland destroyed in NMM fire 2004

Comment

I believe that this was the bike that GRA member Chris Brown rode to India! See Leading Link 169, Feb 2013, page 17.

He sold it on and it then it got 'restored' and painted green! The then owner was quite adamant that it left the factory that colour but when Chris got it, it was blue and it was blue in Bert Greeves ISDT pictures.

It found it's way into the Birmingham motorcycle museum and apparently was consumed in the fire. See page 42 of Bob Currie's guide to competition bikes in the museum.

Comment

How come it ended up black, then? Was that a NMM decision, when they restored it?

Also, the article says it had Triss sharp's number on it in the museum, so was it Peter's or Triss's?

It looks very nice in black, I have to say!

Ian

Comment

NMM ISDT Greeves

In the late eighties, early nineties the club committee met regularly at the NMM. Indeed, we held 1 or 2 AGM there. A spin off to our use was free access to the museum. As I recall this bike had no frame number and was a non running representation of the original. The fire destroyed so many bikes. A very sad time. Many bikes were rebuilt as representations.

Comment

Interesting stuff Phil; but why black?

Comment

Probably what was available. Aside from the Eastcoaster, and the police bikes black was a poor relation to a certain shade of blue. Yes, I know some Griffons had black frames.

Comment

Working...
              X