Knock me down with a feather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock me down with a feather

My old Greeves Scottish that I owned back in 1979 at Telford show. Apparently recently recovered from a barn whence it has 'slept' for many many years. No longer in my ownership, it was a massive surprise to see it there. It appeared in the last leading link magazine where you can just see it and the other photo is me at the tender age of 15
    Attached Files

Not a Scottish

Originally posted by MarkM View Post
    My old Greeves Scottish that I owned back in 1979 at Telford show. Apparently recently recovered from a barn whence it has 'slept' for many many years. No longer in my ownership, it was a massive surprise to see it there. It appeared in the last leading link magazine where you can just see it and the other photo is me at the tender age of 15
    All the bikes at Telford were scramblers, so according to the entry line up it would have been No76 a 24SCS Hawkstone entered by Chairman Rob.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/06/2017, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      All the bikes at Telford were scramblers, so according to the entry line up it would have been No76 a 24SCS Hawkstone entered by Chairman Rob.
      I always believed it to be a Scottish John, although this is what I was told by the seller at the time. It certainly didn't rid elike a scrambler and had a trials gearbox. I offered to send the current owner pictures of me doing trials on it but never got a reply (got the feeling that he was scared I was trying to buy it lol). It is certainly my old bike right down to the hand made exhaust which is a pretty unique shape. Apparently it now lives up the road about 5 miles from me

Comment

I always believed it to be a Scottish John, although this is what I was told by the seller at the time. It certainly didn't rid elike a scrambler and had a trials gearbox. I offered to send the current owner pictures of me doing trials on it but never got a reply (got the feeling that he was scared I was trying to buy it lol). It is certainly my old bike right down to the hand made exhaust which is a pretty unique shape. Apparently it now lives up the road about 5 miles from me
        Looking closer at the pic it appears to be No 75 the one with a red stripe on tank, that's a 1958/59 20 SAS Hawkstone owned by Andy Barnett our Membership Sec. In your pic the bike has a front paddle hub which only the Hawkstone had, the Scottish trials had plain tin hubs.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/06/2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          Looking closer at the pic it appears to be No 75 the one with a red stripe on tank, that's a 1958/59 20 SAS Hawkstone owned by Andy Barnett our Membership Sec. In your pic the bike has a front paddle hub which only the Hawkstone had, the Scottish trials had plain tin hubs.
          That makes sense John, Can't explain why it was so low geared unless did those early Hawkstones have a relatively low gear index??
          As I say I used it for trials and messing around on but it may have been the original Hawkstone gearbox.

Comment

That makes sense John, Can't explain why it was so low geared unless did those early Hawkstones have a relatively low gear index??
            As I say I used it for trials and messing around on but it may have been the original Hawkstone gearbox.
            Hawkstone had close ratio & Scottish wide ratio gears. It was not uncommon to use one bike for both scrambles & trials back then. The basic frame was the same, just needed a change over of foot rests, exhaust (open megga) & maybe a change of barrel & head to a tuned version.

Comment

Just to clarify, I entered the bike in the show in response to the pleas from Dave Bradley for a 1959 Hawkstone in order to have a scrambler from each year of production.
              I spoke to Mark at Telford, and put him in touch with the owner, who is my brother-in-law. He has owned the bike for years, but won't sell it or do anything with it.

AndyB

Comment

Working...
              X