TFS In Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFS In Action

Following on from the mention in the last Leading Link, I've been putting my TFS to its intended use.

Recent highlights include the gruelling Wyegate Trial, report here. I was the only finisher in the pre65 class.

Interestingly I understand the first Wyegate in 1983 was won on a Greeves TES.

Last weekend was the Cotswold Cups, an excellent but challenging event that I would strongly recommend (as in the Wyegate I was the only one on a Thundersley product Where are they all?)

Yesterday a nice local trial near Cheltenham, with the only Greeves rider scooping best performance on the Sportsman route . Pic here.

All I have to do now is get the TFS round Kinlochleven for a couple of days....
    Last edited by ian640; 11/04/2017, 11:00 AM.

Had a great ride in the pre65 Scottish. Pic here and here. Brilliant event, and will enter next year. As far as I could tell there were three other Greeves machines entered, no idea what models.

Comment

Well Done!!

Nice to see you using the bike as intended!

What are the forks you are using? Can't really tell in the photo..

My TFS has cerianis fitted..

I'm riding my Anglian next week at the Snaque pit trial 8th July .. It starts at 4pm and is round one of the summer series run by the eastern four stoke
      Accociation

It was a really good trial last year..

Scott

Comment

Ian - glad we are not the only ones down here asking where all the Greeves have gone! However, there were 18 on parade at the Somerton event so they do exist!

Perhaps we need to get our act together a bit more and put the word around when there are good events coming up. A bit of travelling around is inevitable these days unforunately.

Your reports have made me think a bit especially the Wyegate as it appears I'm on holiday in the Forest of Dean less than a mile from the pub the Club meets in near Newland!

Perhaps we need to have a section on the forum for 'Events not to be Missed', ie. suitable for Greeves plus a severity rating.

Anyway, I for one found your reports very informative - I just need to find some teles for the TES now!

Comment

Hi Scott,

I have 2016 REH forks fitted and they work very well indeed, but remain pre-65 compliant, at least for the Scottish.

I can't take much credit for the build of the TFS, which was done very well by Paul Powell of Cotton Villiers spares. Paul has the bike again now for further development work.

Hi Rob,

I mainly ride Long Distance Trials and mainstream club trials, rather than purely pre-65 trials. I have to say the LDTs are favourites as you get a full day out, the sections are usually challenging but rideable, they're affordable, the atmosphere is always very friendly, and there's usually a class for pretty much any machine. For example the MCC is currently considering a class for step-throughs and scooters due to the increasing popularity of C90s and the like in their LDTs.

The next couple of events for the TFS are the Arbuthnot and the MCC Edinburgh Trial - the latter will be a challenge as it runs overnight. In due course I'd also like to try a timecard enduro on it.

There's a list similar to what you describe here http://www.eventdirectory.org.uk but it looks like it hasn't been maintained in a while.

So how about a sticky list of Greeves-suitable events not to be missed here in this section of the forum?

Cheers,

Ian.

Comment

As it happens...

...your message is quite apposite Rob, as I have today received from the Stratford Club details of a trial which should be well suited to Greeves bikes, to which all GRA members and Greeves riders are invited, on 30th July

at:

Swifts, Halford, Shipston on Stour, Warks, CV37 7PH

3 routes
            All welcome
            Entries at Start

There is a pub in the Village (The Bridge at Halford) which does accommodation and food.

Contact details to follow

AndyB

Comment

I like the class for c90 cubs and scooters. Takes me back to early 70s when we were at school. We used to ride up and down the old disused railway track between Bexhill and Crowhurst. there was a wood going off the track too. I was lucky as I rode my TFS which I bought for £20 in 72.. The others had Honda 50 step thrus, stripped down Lambrettas and Vespas and other assorted bikes like Bantams, Franny B's Mobylettes and more. These were usually found abandoned in back gardens, and a knock on the door quite often was rewarded by the owner giving them away! it was amazing how agile off road these bikes were.

Comment

Thanks ian and Andy!

My son and i should both be at the Arbuthnot (hope I don't get a puncture again this year and do half the trial with a front tube in the back!). We both rode in the Lands End and am thinking of doing the Edinburgh.

Good idea about the sticky, we need to develop this idea!

PS - Have you tried the Timber Woods LDT? That is a good one.

Comment

Hi Rob,

I think I rode the Timber Woods a few years ago. I've just received a note about another LDT run by Eastbourne and District MCC on Sunday 6th August, and one can enter on the ACU site.

Another two coming up are the Fred Rist LDT (Neath Motor Club) in August and the Moor to Sea LDT (West of England Motor Club) in October.

Edinburgh Trial entries are open now as you may know.

Cheers,

Ian.

Comment

Thanks Ian, I'll have a look at these!

The Eastbourne one is just down the road.

I need to ride a bit more I think as my disaterous Somerton results prove!

Either that or I'll apply for my International Spectator's Licence!

Comment

If things go well with the TFS in the Edinburgh I plan to ride all the big three MCC trials next year on the same bike. There's the possibility of a GRA team then.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                        ...your message is quite apposite Rob, as I have today received from the Stratford Club details of a trial which should be well suited to Greeves bikes, to which all GRA members and Greeves riders are invited, on 30th July

at:

Swifts, Halford, Shipston on Stour, Warks, CV37 7PH

3 routes
                        All welcome
                        Entries at Start

There is a pub in the Village (The Bridge at Halford) which does accommodation and food.

Contact details to follow

AndyB

Strewth this is a couple of miles up the road from me - will be taking the TE along to this. Do I need to register with the Stratford club? (which club is it) Are there any details on-line Andy??
                        Last edited by MarkM; 30/06/2017, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                          Thanks Ian, I'll have a look at these!

The Eastbourne one is just down the road.

I need to ride a bit more I think as my disaterous Somerton results prove!

Either that or I'll apply for my International Spectator's Licence!
                          I am a member of the Eastbourne & District Mcc, and rode last year's long distance trial on my TFS. I recommend it, a great day out and suits Greeves and other classic trials bikes.

Comment

Stratford Club Trial info

Originally posted by MarkM View Post
                            Strewth this is a couple of miles up the road from me - will be taking the TE along to this. Do I need to register with the Stratford club? (which club is it) Are there any details on-line Andy??
                            I've eventually found out a bit more about this, and there is now an up-to-date 'Events' page on the Stratford MCC web-site:

The trial venue has been moved because the Swifts Farm site was too overgrown and is now near Hook Norton so not too far away!

All Greeves riders are welcome.

HTH

AndyB

Comment

Great pics and article. The problem I have now that I have my bike is that I dont have a tow bar or trailer to get to events - hope to sort this in the near future though.

Comment

Working...
                              X