Petrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol

Has anybody had any experience with the product "Ethanil' £50 for the basic kit,
    removes all the Ethanol from your petrol. Well that's what the man is telling us !

Regards.

Yes it's called AvGas 😂 nope no experience I would get the spec

Comment

I believe that the Ethanil product works on the principle that ethanol is miscible with water but petrol and its other additives aren't. Therefore, if you add water to ethanol bearing petrol, shake it about a bit and then let is separate the water fraction will contain all the ethanol from the fuel and you can then decant off the ethanol-free fuel from above the water layer, or drain off the water layer from below the fuel (I can't remember which in the case of Ethanil). So, there is no magic ingredient involved. I'm not sure what the kit consists of, but I suspect it is a measuring cylinder for testing the raw fuel and something like a funnel, a plastic container or two and a jug. You may question whether you can assemble this kit for less than the asking price of the ethanil product.

I hasten to add that I have not carried out this operation myself, but if I was to try to remove the ethanol, here’s what I’d do:

1. Take a measuring cylinder and add 100ml of fuel; add 10ml of water; shake for 30 secs or so and then let the water separate and settle; measure the amount of fluid separated out, if it is say 15ml then you know that the fuel contains 5% ethanol.

2. Take a larger volume of fuel, say 5 litres in a container and add a known quantity of water and shake about again. Let the water/ethanol phase separate out again and decant off the fuel; the water/ethanol volume should now be the water plus 5% of the original fuel volume.

3. Recheck the now ethanol-free fuel using the measuring cylinder method again, knowing that there should now be no incease in the water volume.

In reality you could forget about measuring the water volume in part 2, just mix, shake and decant, but I’m afraid I’d be a bit anal about making sure I’d removed all the ethanol.

Comment

It is a pretty crude method of removing ethanol, by adding water to the petrol, and waiting for the ethanol to mix with the water, drop to the bottom of the container, then you syphon it off - is that the one? Trouble is, apart from the hassle, the ethanol boosts the octane rating of a rather poor quality fuel, so you then need to add something to it to get your octane rating back.

Better bet is to buy ESSO synergy Supreme+ (97 RON) with a red label. It is E0. Not available in Scotland, Teesside distribution area and South West England unfortunately. It appears to be the only pump fuel in the UK which is still EO; apart from Avgas of course! They wouldn't risk putting the cr#p fuel in planes now, would they?! How telling is that? Ian

Comment

Working...
        X