This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
    Great book, both, and fabulous artwork, thanks Brian. I recently bought two copies of the book which I understood to be a new publication. Presented one copy to my late friend just before his untimely departure, as an acknowledgement of his generous encouragement to me on my return to the two-wheeled sport of my youth!. So pleased that I managed to get that in "in time". Just hope he enjoyed the read ......... RIP Dave H.
    Hi John,

Nice to hear from you, and pleased you enjoyed seeing that fantastic MCS artwork...one of your all time favourite Greeves models as well I know. I always said you have good taste, and not just in banjos!

Thanks for sharing your story of getting Dave H a copy of that excellent book, which I'm sure he really appreciated, just as he did your friendship. As you say, gone too soon and sadly missed, but his name and legacy will always be remembered by so many.

For me, one thing I will always remember about Dave is that fantastic day we all shared at Snowshill all those years ago when I brought my friends David and John Stonebridge to meet everybody. That was also the weekend we met for the very first time too of course, when I was hacking into Moreton-in-Marsh on my old Fazer thou to see Wendy and the boys and spied you lurking in that layby just outside the town, then rapidly did a u-turn when I saw your Greeves on the trailer and pulled in for chat! Boy, we've covered some ground since then eh?! That weekend was a truly memorable occasion and saw the Pre65 MX club lads on fine form. Perfect weather, a beautiful track and stunning location, great company and a wonderful atmosphere....and I don't just mean all those excellent Castrol R fumes!

The warmth, respect and care Dave Harper afforded David and John were deeply appreciated and I know they both spoke of it often afterwards, and it meant a lot to me too as you know. This applies just as much to all the lads from the club that day too. It was such a shame that Ian S wasn't there, the one race meeting he didn't attend that year as I remember, and I know he was sad to have missed them. John was a very shy and humble man, and he too sadly passed away a few years ago. He was always very proud of his family connection to BGS. I attended his funeral and it snowed and snowed...it certainly summed up how we all felt at the time. You know John, we're all on the same train...it's just that some get off a bit earlier, but it doesn't mean that we don't miss them dearly, and can be thankful that we have so many great memories to hold onto. Hope you're bearing up my old friend, and please do pass on my warmest regards to Adrian and Rob D, aka the Felixstowe crew.

Brian.

Comment

Back to a bit of Greeves Art then, with this splendid cartoon of the one and only Brian Stonebridge grabbing some serious air in the style for which he became famous.

This is a lovely 'period' cartoon and I think it really captures the spirit and style of those days....it's one of my favourites.

I re-discovered it going back through some old files today and had to post it on here....too good not to!

Hope people enjoy seeing it.

Brian.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	BGS Cartoon Original.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	96639

Comment

More superb artwork, thanks Brian. Thanks for coming back on my post, and for your most kind words. Really pleased to see you back on here where you belong!
        Yes, have fondest of memories of that momentous day, and weekend, at Snowshill. Was equally pleased to make acquaintance of the Stonebridge family. I had already met Ian, of course, and I am proud (and oh so lucky!) to have my name included on the Stonebridge Shield presented in the Dave Harper Championship trophies each year.
        24MCS is indeed my favourite Greeves model of all time, though I never actually got to own one. Nearest I got was my Nellie, a 24SCS Hawkstone, but pretty close all the same (?) She has gone on to pastures new, as have two further Hawkstones by which I had sought to replace her. Have only marshalled at meetings in recent time.
        Will most certainly pass on your kind good wishes to the Dickerson Brothers. Adrian has not ridden for a while, and Rob, of course, suffered horrendous injuries racing this season from which he is now well on road to recovery.
        Still have a banjo (or three!) but that, too, is being neglected lately. Will have to do something about that! Good luck with your own musical pursuits!
        Take care, my friend, stay safe, and avoid that train!

Last edited by johnrunnacles; 25/11/2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X