A rose by any other name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rose by any other name

When I first showed son my newly aquired TE 250 he stated that it would look nice when it was complete, finished and nicely painted. I had to point out that it actually was already these three things. Since having the bike Ive been met with similar responses from those not of similar persuasion to myself: with questions like , 'what are those forks off of', 'what a strange looking frame' 'did you make it yourself' , is it made up of different bits from different bikes and other similar questions. To ease my irritation would someone please humor me and say that they have incurred similar enquiries

It's understandable, modern bikes do look very different to British bikes of yore - and it's now more than 40 years since the British bike industry evaporated. So these days it is quite unusual to meet anyone under 40 who has even heard of Greeves - they were a relatively small manufacturer after all.

If you're able to explain the ingenuity of the bikes and relate their competition history you can maybe guide the understandably ignorant towards the road of enlightenment. It's all part of the fun.

(If you want a real challenge, try explaining a vintage Scott to a present-day motorcyclist...)
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

One of the funniest interchanges I have had was in a bicycle shop where the owner was regaling me with the spec of a mountain bike. This modern device had rear suspension and he made a point of giving me a long spiel on how it worked....until I told him that Vincent used the same design back in the time just after WW2, and they probably copied it from someone else's design anyway.
      There are few real innovations about, just the amount of plastic they are wrapped in!

Comment

Working...
      X