Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newish Member in Alberta

Hi,

I have been following the forums for a couple of years, but have not posted before. As an introduction I am a life long British bike enthusiast located in Calgary, Alberta. My major hobby is restoring and riding brit bikes. I have a small collection of interesting bikes that have stuck around over the years. My interest in Greeves goes back to riding a Greeves Scotish in trials with the Eltham and District club back in the early 60's. About 4 years ago I picked up the remains of an MX3 that had been desert raced in US. That bike is now about 75% restored and planned to be completed next winter. Last weekend I acquired another project bike at a swap meet. By researching the web and books I am fairly confident that it is either an MDS or MCS 2 circa 1962. My question is did Greeves issue replacement frames without stampings. On the new bike I can find no signs of a number on the headstock and no evidence that one has been removed.

Cheers
    Roger

Roger, you are correct in that it seems that replacement beams were issued without numbers, on the premise that the owner/dealer who did the rebuild would stamp the number onto the new beam. Normally, this was forgotten!

Comment

Brian,

Thanks for the response, I know that the bigger factories did that with frames and motors. Was just not sure about Greeves

Comment

Roger, I have heard of other frames around this period turning up unstamped. I am thinking of the TES here. Back in the day, there was not the interest in frame numbers there is today. MOT's never had frame numbers on them in those days and nobody seemed to record them or take much notice of them for that matter. How times have changed!

Comment

Working...
        X