Tool box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool box

I have been sorting out making a few more tool boxes as I am still short of a few.
    The lids have always been the issue and having borrowed one press and not had much success I have sorted my own.
    I have pressed the first one to try it out before ordering some round blank steel discs.
    These discs are cut by water jet locally and are cheap to buy. This first one has been hand cut however the rest will be
    trimmed to the correct size on a friends lathe.

The domed shape is the same as the original on my Ranger, not as domed as I have seen some reproductions.

Nice work

They look smashing Tony..

Well done on getting them made..

Regards

Scott

Comment

I bought my toolbox from TDS supplies. Its ok, was a bit pricey and the spring inside holding the lid on is not terribly secure

Comment

Pressed lids

I have just spent a couple of hours pressing the lids which now need trimming. Ideally on a lathe but as I don't have one it will have to be done by hand.

Comment

Cheap lathe on eBay

There is a cheap Boxford lathe on eBay at the moment Tony, would be OK for trimming the tool box lids (and other jobs) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/small-boxf...sAAOSwbl5Ze5uK
          Looks like you need to get yourself listed in LL for supply of tool boxes and other bits. The list of parts suppliers has be come depleted of late.

Comment

Not talented enough, I only do the bits I need and the odd extra one to help fellow members. Duncan of Parkwood products does quite a range of Greeves parts now, all well made. When I see him at Shepton I will mention the Leading Link.

Comment

getting there

The tubes are now rolled ready for spot welding if I can find a spot welder

next to an original

Lid ready to trim

Comment

Lid catches

Just picked up the water cut lid spring holders, I now have the difficult job of finishing them off

I have my hammer and vice ready to bend them - and my file for the tag - reminds me of the Airfix models, now wheres that glue

Comment

water jet artistry

Tony

Looking at your water jet pictures I was reminded of the use of a water jet machine for cutting aluminium engine plates for Triumph-Greeves

In your case did you provide a pattern, or a CAD drawing?

Just interested to know. No specific jobs on at this time but certain that cutting the basic shape could significantly reduce the cost of manufacture.

Grateful of your feedback

Phil

Comment

Hi Phil - Predator profiles (01823 672117 - Derri) at Tiverton did them for me, and the discs. He charged £5.00 for the required drawing then £1.00 for each spring holder. Which as you say the time involved would be much greater and cost more. He has just shown me his new laser cut which will be for all thicker steel and stainless. No job seems to small
                    I could have provided the CAD drawing, but again not worth it for £5.00.

Comment

Working...
                    X