Winter sniffles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter sniffles.

Are you blocked up?.........can`t breathe?.......
    Then you need a pair of these..........
    Twin centric blowers on a 1935 f/nash gough engine, only ten motors ever built, only two left running with the larger blowers.
    I took this out of the car shown, to be reunited with its original le mans winning chassis, but you have to admire the need for speed even back then.
    Now! i wonder if it`ll fit in the griffon..........
    Attached Files

Wow, I've never seen twin blowers

Thanks for the pictures Dave..

Looks a lovely old thing, nice that engine and chassis are back together...

Is that chain drive like many Frazer Nash ...

Scott
    Last edited by scott151; 26/02/2016, 10:33 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Hi scott, yeah...the old chain gang, as they are known, but that was the donor car, thats been now sold as a rolling chassis, the motor is going back into the original car......

Comment

I spent a happy half-hour figuring out (with the owner) how a the chain-gang transmission works at a VSCC meeting at Snetterton recently. You should post a shot of that set-up Dave, amazing isn't it?

I do wonder how they handle with no differential though...
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

winter sniffles

surely such a rarity is worth a proper write up in the automobile!!! Must say what a wonderful piece of engineering was this a special or factory original?Not strictly Greeves but really exceptional got any more like that up your sleeve?

Comment

Now that's proper, boss....

Amazing stuff Dave, thanks for sharing the pics bud.

Now.....if you do manage to fit it into a Griff (and if anyone can...! ), I reckon you should call it a Grazer Gnash(er)....I've also had a few thoughts about getting it past the scrutineers....

Brian.

Comment

Winter sniffles.

Hello Dave.
              Following on from BT the thought occurred to me that having seen what you do at work would you be able to arrange an open day for we Greeves fans to see and admire the contents of your workshop.
              You can always PM me a reply telling me what to do!!!!
              Mike

Comment

The reference to the Chain-Gang reminds me that I have actually retrieved a dropped chain from one such car during a "Demonstration" event. Anyone who has attended Battlesbridge will understand the "Demonstration" comment!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Norris View Post
                  Hello Dave.
                  Following on from BT the thought occurred to me that having seen what you do at work would you be able to arrange an open day for we Greeves fans to see and admire the contents of your workshop.
                  You can always PM me a reply telling me what to do!!!!
                  Mike
                  Nice thought mike.... but i don`t think so, but i will, as colin suggested post up some pics of the drive train...quite interesting from a mechanical point of view.
                  The engineers from yesteryear took all sorts of directions when trying to achieve a workable design
                  A far cry, from what we are used to in modern times.....

Comment

Help me out Dave, where is the chain in the pictures?
                    Cant see it.
                    Craig

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                      Help me out Dave, where is the chain in the pictures?
                      Cant see it.
                      Craig
                      There isn`t one, when i post it up tmrw, you will see what colin & brian are refering to.......

Comment

Driver train.

Here you go, a four speed + reverse chain set up.
                        The prop runs at engine speed ( 6k plus ) which turns the bevel box, & transfers the drive through 90 degrees, it also reduces the speed at which the cross shaft turns.
                        So the whole cross shaft is constantly live & is always turning, even in neutral, gear selection is by sliding selector dogs, which are operated by rods, running down either side of the chassis.
                        Obviously only one gear can be selected at any one time & is protected by very primative ball & ident interlock system.
                        As colin has pointed out, the back axle is one piece & has no differential, so its a power on & slide round corners type of driving style.
                        Very primative, but this design was used well into the 1930`s, finally a few pics of the gough engine going back into its original chassis after 67 yrs apart.
                        Have to say, looking from the front, it has more than a passing ressemblance to dolly parton........
                        Last pic is of a air cooled v twin GN, which was the precceding company to fraser nash.......
                        Attached Files

Comment

This will bound to start a chain reaction now!¬

Comment

No dick...that was diana ross...not dolly parton!

Comment

Fabulous photographs! What wonderful cars you get to work with!

Marvellous to learn that the blown engine is going back into its original chassis. I hope the "donor" car has a suitable lump available?

Does the owner race with VSCC?
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                              X