Wanted :- Pillion Footrests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The drawing

This is the drawing I have made from the footrest of my EC, the length of thread may need adjusting for different bikes. Note I have given measurements in mm except the fixing bolt which is 3/8 inch dia which needs to match hole in frame.
    Attached Files

Comment

That's good John; thanks. I will print it off and take it with me to Shepton tomorrow. Don't tell Tony.....

ps that 8mm threaded hole would be 5/16" BSF, or Whitworth, originally? Don't start on that metric malarkey!
      Last edited by IanCordes; 24/03/2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

pillion footrests

Check E.Bay 252822488938 may fit the bill. Regards Les.

Comment

Les. Not quite. They would space the pegs too far out, and not leave room for the spacer between the frame mounting lug and the silencer. Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
            That's good John; thanks. I will print it off and take it with me to Shepton tomorrow. Don't tell Tony.....

ps that 8mm threaded hole would be 5/16" BSF, or Whitworth, originally? Don't start on that metric malarkey!
            Yes I realise that Ian, but mine is metric thread, (except the 3/8" frame fixing which is a much finer possibly cycle tread, which I have changed in the drawing to BSF), as are most of the other dimensions, so looks like Greeves had started to go metric. Also its far easier to find metric nuts & bolts than imperial. I have no problem with metric.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 24/03/2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I would be surprised if Greeves did go to metric. Other manufacturers concurrent with them at that time certainly didn't. Maybe yours are aftermarket ones? Anyway, no matter, I was speaking in jest anyway

Comment

Greeves metric??? maybe some things were forced on them... I remember going to the woodyard for some 2x2.......sorry mate it's 50x50 now. OK I'll have 2 metres.......sorry mate, you can have 6 foot......

Comment

Only half metric (or should I say 50% metric?); as the mounting bolt is still 3/8"BSF.......

I suspect the 5/16 " BSF hinge bolt holes were re-tapped and the bolts changed for metric at some point. Who knows? Not important, but I would want my in Imperial ta....

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                    Only half metric (or should I say 50% metric?); as the mounting bolt is still 3/8"BSF.......

I suspect the 5/16 " BSF hinge bolt holes were re-tapped and the bolts changed for metric at some point. Who knows? Not important, but I would want my in Imperial ta....
                    Bugger, the bolts & nuts on my footrests are 0.010 of an inch under size across flats. I hope some rivet counter doesn't have a vernier caliper in his pocket to measure them.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                      Bugger, the bolts & nuts on my footrests are 0.010 of an inch under size across flats. I hope some rivet counter doesn't have a vernier caliper in his pocket to measure them.
                      Don't bring it to the AGM John; I'll be all over it

Comment

I was talking to a friend and former GRA member Roger Neal yesterday about the footrests, he conformed that the ones on my bike are originals & the thread was 3/8 cycle thread not BSF. He also thought that originally the hinge was a riveted pin rather than nut a bolt. So does look like mine have been modified in that respect. Or maybe later ones were fitted with a bolt.

Comment

There weren't any that I could find at the VMCC at Shepton yesterday. However I did pick up an alloy binnacle. A few people thought they were Triumph footrests however I could not find any to match. There were a couple of riveted ones that were close which might do if I cannot find an exact match. Check your sheds for the AGM

Comment

Missed you at the jumble yesterday Tony, although I did bump into Simon. Same as you, didn't find any, so I bought a pair which are similar, and are rivetted. I was planning to drill them out and fit bolts, but will put a hold on that pending further investigation.
                            The mounting stud is way too a short, so I will cut it off, drill and tap to fit a longer one, and fit the new flat rubbers I bought. Total cost so far £9.50 including new rubbers, plus a bit of work involved. They won't be quite the same, and originals are preferable, so to reiterate what Tony said, bring any you have to the AGM!

Ian

PS the Triumph ones are similar, but the shank is longer, and a different shape. Also the stud is I believe only 5/16".

Comment

Working...
                            X