This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palmer silebcer

Brian - There's a Dave Palmer silencer on eBay at the moment. When the Sprite kit trials bikes (permission to spit in disgust!) appeared in the mid-60s the Palmer silencer was the item of choice, and very good it was too.

Comment

'Greeves Grass Track Motorcycles' - LL Articles, Post 1 of 2.

Originally posted by Stuart Wigmore View Post
      Hi
      Have just read this thread regarding Greeves Grass Bikes.
      When I was riding in the Southern Centre in the late 60's to early 70's Dave Palmer, who was a Greeves Dealer from Teddington rode a Griffon engined bike for a while, in a Hagon I think.

regards

Stuart
      Hi Stuart,

Glad you found the thread and thanks for the additional information. It prompted me to post some more material here, something I've been meaning to do for a while.

Very little seems to be available 'out there' on this topic, but Mike Meadows attempted to rectify the situation with this superb pair of articles, published in LL#107 (October 2002-Part 1) and LL#108 (December 2002-Part 2.)

I hope that members who haven't see these before will enjoy them, and trust that Mike won't mind me giving his excellent work another airing on here, in the hope that other members may come forward with further info, pics or stories about this interesting subject.

Brian T.

Note; Pic 4 below (from the cover of LL#107) shows our very own Dave Harper, riding a 350cc Greeves-engined grass track bike at a Kent meeting in the 1970's.
      Attached Files

Comment

'Greeves Grass Track Motorcycles' - LL Articles, Post 2 of 2.

....And here's the second article (see attached.)

Brian T.
        Attached Files

Comment

Greeves Grass Track

Hi Brian
          I really must go on the website more often, just stumbled across your Thread again.
          I will pass this on to Willie Tustin as I know he is in touch with Dave Palmer who I believe is not too well.

best regards

Stuart

Comment

I think I remember!!

Hi, I seem to remember a rider from the Lincoln area, who suddenly appeared on the grasstrack scene in the 1960s with a 250 Greeves "tracker", and proceded to trim up not only the 250 boys, but often the 500s as well.His name was Brian Maxted, who went on to win many titles. starider

Comment

Yes I have

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
              Dave's silencers were very good at taming the noise, has anyone got one laying around spare?
              Hi Brian, Yes I have one that I used for many years before getting a pukka square exhaust on my TES.

Comment

Don Godden

Just learnt that Don won the very first 250cc british championship with a greeves! Anybody have any info

Comment

Don Godden

Dave Harper and Geof Nunn have just rebuilt an engine and gearbox for me. The Griffon engine was built in Sept. 1974 and was one of a batch of 10 with Jack Knight close ratio gearbox and Dave said one of this batch was supplied to Don Godden.

Comment

Hi

Just for the records Dave Palmers 1st grasstracker he built used a scrambles alloy girder frame

Alan J

Comment

Working...
                    X