Stafford Classic Motorcycle Show 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stafford Classic Motorcycle Show 2018

There will be a GRA stand at the International Classic Motorcycle Show at the Stafford Showground (ST18 0BD) next weekend, 22nd/23rd April.

I don't suppose I need to remind you what an excellent show this is - many club stands, huge jumble, classic bike auction. Busy on the Saturday, less so on the Sunday.

We will be in the main hall - just look out for the blue on white sail flags. Do pop over and say hello.
    Colin Sparrow

Off to Stafford in the next half hour. Do come and say hello if you're attending.

No Greeves in the Bonhams auction this year.

I suppose I could bid for one of the half-dozen or so Scotts...
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Or one of the 5 White Helmets Triumphs @ £5500 to £8000 estimate each

Comment

Got a Triumph, don't need another one.

Seriously the Scott I was after - the 1929 TT Replica - turned out to be a real beauty - and at £11,500 hammer price exceeded its top estimate by £3500.

At £13,483 including commission and VAT it was too much for my piggy bank.

Nice bike, though.

Good show this year. Dave Bradley's latest racer project took "Best Villiers-Engined bike" and the stand was busy all day, both days.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Observations. Sunday seemed quieter this year, noticeable in the auction that by mid afternoon less people standing around. Prices on Vincents seem to be lower, maybe that market is saturated? Race bikes definitely not making the money of a few years ago, less opportunity to use one for parading? Number of bikes not sold including some of the White Helmet Triumphs and only one of the Harley's sold, Engelbert Humperdinck who? The Ducati 750SS round case at £106000 for a basket case project is silly as is a Munch Mammoth at £154000 , but the lower end of the market for bikes that are actually rideable seems to be more sensible and stable. Any comments on bargains outside? Dogsbody
          PS Will Corry was asking£475000 for a Beale replica Honda 6 , think it was unsold by end of the show.

Comment

Hopefully the 'bubble has burst' on bike prices, they were getting silly, even the 'grey porridge' bikes. Frankly as I have said before, this investment thing has not done the old bike movement any favors, youngsters who may have been interested cant get onto the ladder as investors push prices sky high aided by the so called 'Bikes for investment' dealers'
            Bikes are for riding, if you want to grow your pension fund put you money into property!

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
              Hopefully the 'bubble has burst' on bike prices
              I wouldn't hold your breath John, with £106,000 for a basket case Ducati 750SS. I have a lovely 900SS and I would be happy not to bother about the odd £100,000; I would take the £6000!

Comment

Good Jap stuff also around at reasonable prices, friend of mine has just bought a mint Honda 400 Four ex David Silver resto for £5K. Why buy old British junk for higher prices. The Honda is a usable modern classic.

Comment

I say, steady on! British junk? These are our P&J's! You can stick your Jap cr....ok, you know the rest

Comment

Each particular marque, has its own merits, whether it be british, japanese, italian etc, & each bikes value will be determined by market forces.
                    Supply & demand is the rule & the upward price trend does not appear to be changing course from where i am sitting.
                    A classic 2k bike five yrs ago is now double that & frankly a lot of this is down to the actual cost of the restorations to bring them back to tip top level.
                    Parts are not cheap anymore & good quality bikes are not built from old jumble.

Comment

One wonders what will happen to prices & indeed the whole 'Historic Vehicle' scene leading up to 2040. Thats the date the government have set to ban petrol and diesel vehicles, and indeed the decline in sales of diesel cars has already started.
                      I cant really see that old classic & vintage vehicles will be allowed unlimited use on the roads after that date. They will probably only be allowed on certain dates and events like the annual London to Brighton Run, but for the private owner I can see severe restrictions as to where and when they can be used. Of course another deciding factor will be the continued availability of petrol, yes it will probably still be available in small quantities from certain outlets, but the price will rocket as demand tails off making production of it expensive.
                      What happens to all the old vehicles is anyone guess, some 'high end' vehicles will inevitably go to museums, and private collectors for investment purposes, but what of the 1000's of other more mundane classics? Some fully restored cars have already been 'weighed in' in scrappage schemes to buy new cars
                      Whether we like it or not electric vehicles are the future, the development of which is now going forward in leaps and bounds having been stifled by the oil moguls for years. With battery technology improving all the time its inevitable that electricity is the way forward, after all the internal combustion engine still has its origins back in the late 1800's.
                      In a few years time electric power will be the norm and the internal combustion engine dead.
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 26/04/2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

At the moment, most of the Hybrid and pure electric vehicle traffic is local based, but I went to our local Motorway Services on Friday and was amazed to see 6 Teslas being charged there. These are hugely expensive, but capable of long distance driving, as long as you can find the relevant charge point!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                          At the moment, most of the Hybrid and pure electric vehicle traffic is local based, but I went to our local Motorway Services on Friday and was amazed to see 6 Teslas being charged there. These are hugely expensive, but capable of long distance driving, as long as you can find the relevant charge point!
                          Technology is changing fast, Tesla are already looking at electric HGV's & PSV's
                          Just a matter of time and prices will fall as production numbers increase.
                          I suppose back in the myths of time a motorcycle was a lot more expensive than a hobby horse
                          If this climate change thing is for real than something has to change for future generations to survive. In the motorcycle world we already have electric road racers

Comment

My own thoughts are that petrol vehicles will still be able to use the road past that date. Electric vehicles will be everywhere and no more petrol vehicles will be manufactured that is true. As the remaining petrol vehicles fade away just the enthusiast vehicles will be left on the road. Buying petrol will be like popping to Aldi to get some firewood for your wood burning stove which you only use as a novelty anyway because you already have central heating. At that point the amount of petrol vehicles that will still be on the road will be minimal. Our cultural and ethical perspectives are changing regarding fossil fuels (and rightly so).

Comment

Yes a good point you have made there Mark. Frankly we could have had everyday electric vehicles years ago if the oil barons had not snuffed out development of electric power, and the planet could have been in a much better state than it is now.

Comment

Working...
                              X