Fairing bracket for RDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing bracket for RDS

Does anyone know the size and thread of the bolts fixing the fairing bracket to the headstock I am in the process of making up a new bracket.

mine are 1/4 BSF x 3/4". Dogsbody

Comment

fairing brackets for RDS

Under the tank I have a bracket 75mm long with 3 holes in. I assume the 2 outer holes are for a bracket to hold the arms to the rear of the fairing, what is the other hole for ?
      Does anyone have a picture showing the shape and length of the arms or an approximate angle to the centre line of the frame.
      Behind the 75mm bracket there is another with a single hole 17mm wide is this for the coil ?

Comment

The rear fairing bracket is a tube mounted just above the rear gearbox mount. The plate that hangs down under the tank takes the rubber for the coil , the other hole for the earth wire off the coil. That is on my RCS anyway, possibly yours has been modified. Dogsbody

Comment

RDS Fairing brackets

The fairing that came with my bike is just a top section but there were no fixings.
          Colin's book shows bikes with top fairings and the tails are fixed to brackets under the tank and I was hoping to do the same.
          Rob has given me the drawings for the front headstock fixing which I have made up so I just need to secure the tails.

Comment

The RAS and RBS were fitted with a top fairing only, all the subsequent models had a full two or three piece fairing. Dogsbody
            Last edited by Dogsbody; 26/07/2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I have only had an upper fairing on my RDS since I imported it from the UK in 81.

Mine are 1/2" OD tube with a straight length of 10" at a 45 deg. angle forward. The outer end of the tubes have been flattened and bent at 45 deg. forward to match the fairing and attach about 5 1/2" from back of fairing. The inner ends have a flat strip welded at about a 50 deg. angle to clear the radius of the rear frame tube. These are attached to the frame with a 3/4" wide strap clamp with a single pinch bolt that also attaches the 2 fairing mounts in front of the frame tube. This clamp is about 5 1/2" above the g'box mount and has the remains of a 5/8" OD tube across the back which is possibly part of the original mount?

This was the way it was when I got the bike and I am not sure how much is standard, but it has worked for me. The bike was highly modified by Peter Williams when he built it in 1966 and originally had the lowers fitted but even in period photos these appear to be much lower to the ground than standard Silverstones. In an 1966 article it mentioned he had lowered the bike to reduce the frontal area but haven't worked out how although the seat height is only 28" from the ground!

Stan

Comment

Thanks for the info, Dogsbody and Stan N.

Comment

Working...
                X