Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > General forums > Projects

Old 23/07/2017, 06:12 PM
GRA Member

Location: 69 250 and 72 QUB Griffons and loan of Dad's 62 MDS Iron Barrel (occasionally)

Nice one Paul !!
Old 23/07/2017, 09:52 PM
Basic User

Valve spring compressor I used held the clutch in the vice (just for stability), put the fork end over the circlips end and pushed from behind with the clamped end of the compressor.
You will be able to get a pliers in on the circlips then.
Old 27/08/2017, 09:09 AM
GRA Member

Default running cables

Morning Gents. My timing isn't great here as some of you will be living the dream at Maylandsea today - hope its a cracking days racing for you.

A quick favour from you Griffon owners. I'm in final stages of the restoration now but having a real headscratcher regarding running throttle , brake and clutch cables. I had no original cables with the bike, so I'm making them up from scratch. I'm in the dark re length and routing though. If one of you generous chaps could whip your griffon tank off and take a picture from above, it would save me loads of time and puzzlement. And of course potentially having to do it all twice after measuring once, then twice, and still cutting cables too short.

I'll post some pics of the (nearly) finished bike later today for your amusement.

Paul
Old 28/08/2017, 08:44 AM
GRA Member

Location: 69 250 and 72 QUB Griffons and loan of Dad's 62 MDS Iron Barrel (occasionally)

Hi Paul
You are right Maylandsea was a cracker !!
Will drop a report later
Re cables I just replaced a throttle cable on my QUB I will measure the cable and casing for you . And take a pic the lead is onvoious once you see it cheers Kim
Old 28/08/2017, 09:30 AM
GRA Member

Throttle cable casing 43.5 inches and cable 51 inches nipple to nipple . ( as it were ). So clearly 7.5 inches difference between body and internal cable works with a Mikuni at one end and a Magura throttle at the other
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7502.jpg  
Old 28/08/2017, 09:39 AM
GRA Member

My throttle and clutch cable both lead through the left hand side gusset . The other cable is the kill switch
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7503.jpg  
Old 28/08/2017, 09:41 AM
GRA Member

And this is view from top
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7505.jpg  
Old 30/08/2017, 09:53 PM
GRA Member

Thanks Kim, a great help. you measured 51 inches nipple to nipple - time to lay off the pies my friend .

As usual I find I take one step forward and two back. throttle cable now done and produces a lovely snappy action, but... mk 2 Amal doesn't fit under exhaust. wish I'd checked it before going for full carb overhaul. In the words of the great philosopher Homer, Doh!

Also struggling with ignition. the Electrex World cdi which was fitted professionally produces a good spark but bike wont fire. only thing I can think is timing has not been set properly. hopefully will have time to look at this tomorrow.

On another subject, I need some new rubber front and rear. what are your preferences of tyre for the Griffon, and your supplier of choice.

Paul
Old 31/08/2017, 11:06 AM
GRA Member

Default Re: Electrex World CDI

I had exactly the same when fitting an Electrex kit to a 32A last year, good visible spark but would not fire, rang VS who told me to reverse the connections to the CDI (ie swap over the wires, blue and black I think) as there had been a change in supplier which rendered the instructions incorrect. It meant changing the female spade connectors as they are different sizes, but I did that and it fired up straight away and has been fine ever since. Might be worth a try? Or ring Electrex (or Villiers Services, though strictly speaking its not a Villiers engine........) to verify my experience.
Old 31/08/2017, 08:04 PM
GRA Member

Thanks Jeff, it had occurred to check the wiring and I'd noticed connecters are different, so assumed this couldn't be the problem. It was VS that fitted the kit when doing some other engine work for me, so you may have hit the nail on the head. certainly worth a try.

Paul