Different engine No to log book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different engine No to log book

The long and short of this is can I buy a new engine plate, stamp it myself (engine is a 32a , same as on log book - present clutch cover shows 9e) and not be breaking the law. I assume that clutch cover has been replaced at some time due to damage and old engine plate was not re-attached

Thanks

Yes, you are correcting a previous owner's error, so no problem. The learned ones will tell you where to obtain said plate. (Probably Villiers Services)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
      Yes, you are correcting a previous owner's error, so no problem. The learned ones will tell you where to obtain said plate. (Probably Villiers Services)
      Many Thanks Brian, great advice. I will call Villiers tomorrow

Comment

Don't worry too much about the engine number, it is the frame number that the DVLA go on. Engines come and go as do primary chaincases and I don't think mine have engine numbers (which in the case of Villiers isn't an 'engine' number at all except in theory. On the MOT, it is only the frame number that is checked (on behalf of the DVLA).

If the frame number changes, it is a different vehicle as far as the DVLA are concerned. With the early Scottish, the only bit of the bike that is 'frame numbered' is the alloy beam and top tube so changing that little bit is hardly a different vehicle but I think you would have trouble explaing that to the DVLA.

Maybe the interchangeability of chaincases and front beams explains the variety of Greeves that bear only a resemblance to their registration details?!

Comment

Working...
        X