Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon 380 1973

Hi all (again),
    Two questions: Does anyone have a special diy tool (picture or drawing) for bending spokes?
    Are there drawings around to build a new exhaust pipe for my '73 380 (single port) which goes under the seat?
    Cheers

Hi Dave - Rob has all the drawings - not sure if he has a QUB exhaust one tho......happy to measure dimensions of mine which is a stock exhaust assuming you don't have the original.

Re spokes - the ones I bought for my wheel were pre-bent to fit into the Hub . They are also stainless and look good.
    Richard Hayward - who is one of our Greeves Championship riders re-builds wheels to a high standard for reasonable costs if you need assistance.
    (Haywards Wheels on Facebook) ........Having solid balanced wheels is probably the biggest safety factor if you want to race your QUB..they take a pounding. I broke a spoke last season and Richard is sorting me out.
    Cheers Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
      Hi Dave - Rob has all the drawings - not sure if he has a QUB exhaust one tho......happy to measure dimensions of mine which is a stock exhaust assuming you don't have the original.

Re spokes - the ones I bought for my wheel were pre-bent to fit into the Hub . They are also stainless and look good.
      Richard Hayward - who is one of our Greeves Championship riders re-builds wheels to a high standard for reasonable costs if you need assistance.
      (Haywards Wheels on Facebook) ........Having solid balanced wheels is probably the biggest safety factor if you want to race your QUB..they take a pounding. I broke a spoke last season and Richard is sorting me out.
      Cheers Kim
      Hi Kim, thanks for the info. I have the original exhaust (well most of it) and can get it copied over here. I am trying to find a suitable stinger and figure a suzuki rm400 might be the go.
      I have threaded my own spokes (have the hozan dies) but never bent them. The last couple of bundles I bought from Newson spokes (taiwan??).
      But this time I thought I might take on the whole project. I did the spokes on my triumph t90 classic race bike. THAT was a mission first try. got it on the fourth!!!!.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1968 triumph T90 (350cc) copy 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	58923

Comment

Dave, I made an exhaust for my Griffon 250 (you can see it here if interested http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...?t=4844&page=4). I was going to just copy the original which is pretty easy to do, you can actually make your templates by wrapping stiff paper around the cones and tracing it through and then cutting them out. I ended up making a modified pipe for mine and I now also need to source a stinger so I will be keen to see what you come up with. Good luc with the build!

Comment

Originally posted by johnu View Post
          Dave, I made an exhaust for my Griffon 250 (you can see it here if interested http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...?t=4844&page=4). I was going to just copy the original which is pretty easy to do, you can actually make your templates by wrapping stiff paper around the cones and tracing it through and then cutting them out. I ended up making a modified pipe for mine and I now also need to source a stinger so I will be keen to see what you come up with. Good luc with the build!
          Hi John, thanks for that. Nice bike. Have a young chap who can weld so thats a bonus. Thought the Suzuki stinger looked the same as the old one. Did you have to replace primary case screws and where did you find them. Most of mine are knackered. Cheers Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Smith View Post
            Hi John, thanks for that. Nice bike. Have a young chap who can weld so thats a bonus. Thought the Suzuki stinger looked the same as the old one. Did you have to replace primary case screws and where did you find them. Most of mine are knackered. Cheers Dave
            I picked up my replacement primary case screws at the Kempton Park autojumble when I was back visting family in England! I don't think my 1970 250 had a stinger on it when first sold.
            Last edited by johnu; 25/02/2016, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnu View Post
              I picked up my replacement primary case screws at the Kempton Park autojumble when I was back visting family in England! I don't think my 1970 250 had a stinger on it when first sold.
              Hi John, sadly we dont have jumble sales in Godzone. But I have put out the feelers around the world for 1 BA screws. There is not enough meat on the cases to drill and tap out for something else. Hate the cases to crack under the pressure of racing Have found someone who is making a batch of 1 BA x 1 1/2" long but in hex head so may have to turn the heads down and put a slot in them. Have heard the big bikes make a heck of a racket without a stinger/muffler. That would upset the twigs and tweeters (smile). Cheers

Comment

1BA Screws....

Hi Dave,

These guys are on your side of the pond....maybe they could supply what you need? http://britishfasteners.com/screws/s...ba-screws.html

Good luck with the project, and a belated welcome to the forum!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                  Hi Dave,

These guys are on your side of the pond....maybe they could supply what you need? http://britishfasteners.com/screws/s...ba-screws.html

Good luck with the project, and a belated welcome to the forum!

Brian.
                  Hi Brian, thanks for the link and the welcome. Interesting site. My problem is the length of the 1 BA. They are at least 1 1/4" threaded shank. Have some coming via Ebay from a seller called BA-Bolts UK. Have another guy who was going to thread up some 1 1/2" hex head which I might have to turn down and cut a slot in. Damned hard to find. Have put in a request to Terry Sewell. Cheers Dave

Comment

Hi Brian, thanks for the link and the welcome. Interesting site. My problem is the length of the 1 BA. They are at least 1 1/4" threaded shank. Have some coming via Ebay from a seller called BA-Bolts UK. Have another guy who was going to thread up some 1 1/2" hex head which I might have to turn down and cut a slot in. Damned hard to find. Have put in a request to Terry Sewell. Cheers Dave
                    PS, do you know anyone who might have the drilling angles and measurements for blank rims???

Comment

Hi Kim, thanks for the info. I have the original exhaust (well most of it) and can get it copied over here. I am trying to find a suitable stinger and figure a suzuki rm400 might be the go.
                      I have threaded my own spokes (have the hozan dies) but never bent them. The last couple of bundles I bought from Newson spokes (taiwan??).
                      But this time I thought I might take on the whole project. I did the spokes on my triumph t90 classic race bike. THAT was a mission first try. got it on the fourth!!!!.
                      [ATTACH]4806[/ATTACH]
                      Picked up my new exhaust header pipe this week and now I am afraid it is tooo good to put on the bike
                      Attached Files

Comment

QUB suspension

Hopefully some kind soul can approve how I have put the damper together.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Would put the forks together if had the correct diameter damper springs Sent new ones about 2mm bigger diameter so they wont fit up the tube.

Comment

Got the frame painted and clearcoat. It's a start. I know it should be black, but figured silver with bright red tank and side panels would stand out - especially at the front of the pack!!!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

HI all, does anyone know where I could buy some footpeg springs? I have tried my local springmaker, but he just smiled which I figure means try someone else
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X