Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay Ian I will put your name on the list

Comment

Nice to see you yesterday Tony, nice job of that alloy binnacle glad that we had such a lot of enthusiastic Greeves owners there it makes it all worthwhile and a big thank you to the 4 new members that signed up as well, lots of interest and i think we can safely say that the AGM get together, and the Badger Goss talk will be well attended. on APRIL the 3RD

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
        Hi Tony,

Well done! The jobs looking pretty good to my eyes, and coming along very nicely indeed.

Regarding your comments on lack of definition on the cast Greeves logo, I've been pondering this and thought I'd offer a few thoughts that occurred....

1.) Firstly, they don't look all that bad to me, but I can see where you're coming from. I wonder if they could be improved with a bit of 'cleaning-up' with some micro burrs and a dremel; http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N1HQWO...7S3VYZ60N2WHHA

It would require a very steady hand of course, and some magnifying safety glasses, but I reckon an improvement could be made this way, if you have the nerve. Perhaps any small 'mistakes' could be made good with a bit of solder and re-shaping.....

2. Laser engraving is another approach, and you could photograph the original logo in-situ and use this to create appropriate artwork for the laser software to scan. http://www.laser-engraving-limited.com/

Perhaps this could be applied to the 'original' casting to improve the definition, or a completely new aluminium logo produced from a block, if the laser can engrave to the required depth of the relief required, and then affixed to the original casting once the original had been milled off.

3. Perhaps a similar approach could be used using one of the tool box badges as you previously mentioned and would be loads easier of course. I have one and I think they were cast in pewter as it's quite soft material. Once the original logo has been milled off the pattern binnacle, I guess it could easily be attached with Araldite or similar, and then the excess adhesive carefully smoothed away at the base to create a seamless join. Daft as it may sound, I would be very tempted to try 'No More Nails' in an application like this...it's brilliant stuff with a multitude of uses if you think outside the box.

Anyway....all just thinking out loud really.....

Good luck with it!

Brian.
        I have stuck a pair of alloy tank badges to my steel tank, using Wurth Bond and Seal. been on there since i started using the bike last year and with several trials involving my green riding and the bike going horizontal in several sections they show no sign of coming off. Also had a dousing of ethanol infested petrol too, which took the paint off the tank....

Comment

Speedometer binnacle -only a few left if you want one.

Comment

Yes please Tony

Il have one please, I will collect from the agm all being well

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
              Yes that is okay Colin - no bartering with books though , I have a copy.
              And there's me hoping you might throw in a free flask of Emu Oil!
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

I have you on the list Scott

... and as for a freebie of Emu oil Colin I have it on good authority that due to fracking Emu oil has become scarce as production has been cut to help stabilise the price

Comment

and I thought it was done by the owner

The Ranger Binnacle on the Ranger has a curve taken out on the front edge, not so on the Anglian Enduro or TFS Trail. The reason being that the fixed headlamp brackets on the Ranger and the MCH66 Headlamp touch otherwise. Until Ken sent me the drawing I had assumed that it was done by an owner not the factory. Good to have drawings

Comment

Working...
                  X