Reproduction Binnacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction Binnacle

Exacerbated by the lack of binnacles and the high prices I have sorted out getting some cast. The first picture is of the reproduced binnacle having not been drilled or polished.

The one I sent for them to copy like all the ones I have are lacking definition on the top of the Greeves logo,

probably due to excessive polishing . One way around that would be to get rid of it and stick on the Greeves battery box badges that are identical.

In terms of shrinkage the two look the same size when placed on top of each other.

I am sending this one back to get it drilled and polished and a fixed price.

Even if they are not identical to the original I am sure they will be near enough and certainly a good way of mounting a speedometer, particularly the replica smiths if you do not have the rear speedometer drive.

Good bit of work there Tony, as for using the toolbox badge problem is they are like hens teeth and may well cost as much as the casting. As you say good enough for anything other than a show bike. Hopefully if you flood the market with the repro's it will bring down the price of the originals.

Comment

Time for we TFS owners to form an orderly queue?
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

"Even if they are not identical to the original I am sure they will be near enough and certainly a good way of mounting a speedometer, particularly the replica smiths if you do not have the rear speedometer drive."

I have a TFS with the missing rear drive. Does the Smiths replica you mention have a different drive arrangement? I need to get a speedo on my bike with the road work I am now doing ( a bit of greenlaning).

Comment

I think there are different ways that you can fit them, this page gives a good explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by floydbassman View Post
            I have a TFS with the missing rear drive. Does the Smiths replica you mention have a different drive arrangement?
            Yes the replica ones have a different connection at the speedo end (the are magnetic not chronometric innards) so you just need to buy a cable with the drive end to fit the Smiths drive

Comment

Originally posted by floydbassman View Post
              "Even if they are not identical to the original I am sure they will be near enough and certainly a good way of mounting a speedometer, particularly the replica smiths if you do not have the rear speedometer drive."

I have a TFS with the missing rear drive. Does the Smiths replica you mention have a different drive arrangement? I need to get a speedo on my bike with the road work I am now doing ( a bit of greenlaning).
              The quick way out, while waiting for these excellent repros, is to fit a bicycle speedo/computer. I did this to check my Honda's speedo for accuracy before I obtained a sat-nav that would have done that just as well.

Comment

Binnacle at Shepton Mallet

I will be at Shepton Mallett on Saturday and I will bring the finished binnacle. I think the end result is pretty good, you can judge for yourself. The polishing is good, the drilling needs setting out correctly. One screw hole is too close to the edge. I am not sure whether the person drilling had the original at the time or not. He has certainly used a slightly too large a drill for the countersink. I will look in to finding someone who will set up and drill correctly. I will be at the Greeves stand at 12:00 ish if you want to have a look.

Last edited by tony; 05/02/2016, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Cast Greeves Logo.....

Hi Tony,

Well done! The jobs looking pretty good to my eyes, and coming along very nicely indeed.

Regarding your comments on lack of definition on the cast Greeves logo, I've been pondering this and thought I'd offer a few thoughts that occurred....

1.) Firstly, they don't look all that bad to me, but I can see where you're coming from. I wonder if they could be improved with a bit of 'cleaning-up' with some micro burrs and a dremel; http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N1HQWO...7S3VYZ60N2WHHA

It would require a very steady hand of course, and some magnifying safety glasses, but I reckon an improvement could be made this way, if you have the nerve. Perhaps any small 'mistakes' could be made good with a bit of solder and re-shaping.....

2. Laser engraving is another approach, and you could photograph the original logo in-situ and use this to create appropriate artwork for the laser software to scan. http://www.laser-engraving-limited.com/

Perhaps this could be applied to the 'original' casting to improve the definition, or a completely new aluminium logo produced from a block, if the laser can engrave to the required depth of the relief required, and then affixed to the original casting once the original had been milled off.

3. Perhaps a similar approach could be used using one of the tool box badges as you previously mentioned and would be loads easier of course. I have one and I think they were cast in pewter as it's quite soft material. Once the original logo has been milled off the pattern binnacle, I guess it could easily be attached with Araldite or similar, and then the excess adhesive carefully smoothed away at the base to create a seamless join. Daft as it may sound, I would be very tempted to try 'No More Nails' in an application like this...it's brilliant stuff with a multitude of uses if you think outside the box.

Anyway....all just thinking out loud really.....

Good luck with it!

Brian.
                  Last edited by Brian Thompson; 06/02/2016, 12:05 PM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Thanks Brian, quite a few members and others had a look at the logo today and it did not seem to be an issue. The bikes on display logos were about the same if not as good. Once I have sorted out the drilling I will have a definite price for members who are interested. Hopefully for pick up at the AGM - I am not going to start posting all over the country

I think you are right about the badges, the definition is good on them and it would be an easy job to stick them on.

Personally I am just going to say mind have lost definition due to excessive polishing - with emu oil

Comment

Some bird oil in the hand is worth two in the metalastik bush.....or summat....

Nice one Tony.

I'd just like to point out that there is no such thing as excessive polishing with Emu oil....not only is it very cathartic, it also makes yer fingers all soft and keeps 'em well groomed, if you can handle the fumes.....

Don't be tempted to use that Chicken oil tho' mate.....it's rubbish.....

Brian.

Comment

As you know Brian once you have tried Emu oil there is no turning back

Hopefully a few members who went to Shepton Mallet on Saturday had a look at the binnacle I left strapped to the table, a lot of dodgy characters go to these shows - and I am not talking about Greeves committee members .

The price if anyone is interested in one will be £67.00 pick up at the AGM.

The break down is as follows for each binnacle

Casting £35.00 + VAT = £42.00
                        Polishing £ 9.00
                        Drilling £ 12.00
                        Postage from Foundry £ 3.00
                        Contribution to me £ 1.00

Total cost £67.00

Please let me know if you are interested and I will order sufficient castings.

Please note that these are only on offer to GRA members.

Comment

As we discussed at Shepton, I reckon they're pretty good and compare well with the originals in the display.

Please put me down for one - cash money at the AGM. OK?
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Yes that is okay Colin - no bartering with books though , I have a copy.

Comment

Hi Tony.

I would like one please.

Cheers Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X