• Show
Clear All

• Choice of taper bearings

07087X/07210X NTN Imperial Taper - 22.23x50.80x15.01mm

http://www.qualitybearingsonline.com...50-80x15-01mm/

07087X/07210X Timken Imperial Taper - 22.23x50.80x15.01mm

Both same price which is best?

or QBL (Quality bearings online do their own brand £7.00 cheaper - not sure as I have not found any reviews on them

Best to go with Timken, some of these pattern parts can be crap especially if they originate from China. Surely you should be able to buy these cheaper in the UK, why go to Canada? Why not give this firm a ring https://www.eabs.co.uk/
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/12/2015, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      Best to go with Timken, some of these pattern parts can be crap especially if they originate from China. Surely you should be able to buy these cheaper in the UK, why go to Canada? Why not give this firm a ring https://www.eabs.co.uk/
      For confused older people, qualitybearingonline have a contact link, if you click on that, there business address in leeds, england comes up..........

Comment

NTN Japanese company

I have a local place to buy bearings I was just using the link to show the different brands. NTN is a large Japanese manufacturer known for quality standards, not an unknown Chinese copy. I have never used their products so was just interested in whether they were the same quality as Timken or even better quality.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
          I have a local place to buy bearings I was just using the link to show the different brands. NTN is a large Japanese manufacturer known for quality standards, not an unknown Chinese copy. I have never used their products so was just interested in whether they were the same quality as Timken or even better quality.
          Hi tony, we use ntn, in high stress applications, bevel boxes etc with no problems.
          I would put them alongside the quality of skf, fag, etc, as you say good products, obviously timken is a quality brand also, but its horses for courses really, its only when you go really cheap with the far eastern budget bearings, that you get quality & sizing issues......
          Last edited by dave higgins; 20/12/2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Dave's last bit about quality and sizing issues reminds me of a problem that arose with a Triumph-Wasp solo where the slight steering-head slop couldn't be adjusted out. Stripping the assembly down revealed that the top bearing was a sloppy fit, adjusted by shimming with old feeler gauges....

Comment

are new bearing nessary?

Tony, why do you need to replace the bearings? unless they are worn or rusty just a clean & re grease should be OK. After all its not as if they are engine or wheel bearings, as long as they take up the play in the steering head & run smoothly from lock to lock they should be fine.

Comment

The frame is being powder coated and all bearings need to be removed. I was not going to do the frame but close up it is fairly flaky and has surface rust so I thought I would do the job properly. The hubs are with Doug Richardson who is rebuilding the wheels with stainless steel Devon Rims. The original rims would need to be rechromed and as I ride all weathers I don't want the hassle of cleaning them off +plus it is more expensive to have rechroming than new stainless. I am also using a Silverstone 2LS on the front as well. All the original bits I don't use I will keep just in case the new owner (hopefully not for a few years) wants to put them back on - though why would you

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                  The frame is being powder coated and all bearings need to be removed. I was not going to do the frame but close up it is fairly flaky and has surface rust so I thought I would do the job properly. The hubs are with Doug Richardson who is rebuilding the wheels with stainless steel Devon Rims. The original rims would need to be rechromed and as I ride all weathers I don't want the hassle of cleaning them off +plus it is more expensive to have rechroming than new stainless. I am also using a Silverstone 2LS on the front as well. All the original bits I don't use I will keep just in case the new owner (hopefully not for a few years) wants to put them back on - though why would you
                  I think you may find the Silverstone brake a bit OTT, the standard one on mine is more than adequate & requires only lightest touch, any more and it locks the wheel. Stainless rims are a good choice though.

Comment

Sought out this thread as I need to replace the same bearings on a Hawkstone. Interesting info, thanks to all for posting.
                    I'm a little perplexed as the internal dimension on this model are 25.4mm as opposed to 22.23mm listed above. Any thoughts!

Comment

Timken Imperial Taper for headstock

Adrian on my Ranger and Anglian I have used these, Dave fitted them and did not say there was any issue with them.

07100S/07210X Timken Imperial Taper - 25.40x50.80x15.01mm

Price: £21.01 (inc VAT)
                      £17.51 (exc VAT)

Comment

He`s right you know!

Hi guys...can i just squeeze in a moment....., tony is right, one inch id, 2inch od on all the taper headstocks.
                        Sorry to hear about your perplexion though Adrian, rub a bit of emu oil in mate.............

Comment

Many thanks guys for further updates, I've no problem with using any of those suggested by the traditional manufacturers. It was the smaller inner diameter of the original thread which confused me(doesn't take a lot I know). Could it be the forks were originally fitted to a frame with ball bearings and subsequently adapted to suit the later version?
                          Afraid I've used up my complete stock of Emu oil Dave, so I've taken to drinking copious amounts of Elderflower champagne(non alcoholic).
                          It's done nothing for anxiety, but has worked wonders for the halitosis.
                          Last edited by ADickerson; 23/06/2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Sorry, forgot to mention an alternate supplier, also worthy of consideration:-

Unfortunately, even they are not able to supply Emu Oil!

Of course, if you are more interested in discussing the relative merits of secondhand villiers silencers then please over write this immediately.

Comment

Timken bearing is the same price, both suppliers do a budget bearing for less than half the Timken one. Are the cheap ones reliable? In most cases they are not going to get a huge usage so might be okay. Personally I would rather spend the extra on parts like bearings where I don't want to have to change them again(well actually Dave).
                              Well I am exhausted thinking about bearings I need a glass of wine

Comment

Working...
                              X