East Coaster project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Coaster project

My East Coaster has a bit of damage or modification to the engine plates, as you can see. I am looking for a replacement set if anyone has some tucked away.

plate repairs

Tony

The missing pieces could be patched in and TIG welded from both sides with no loss of strength.

Comment

plate repairs

Any welder worth his salt could repair that damage even with a stick welder used to be a packet of "fags" but as smoking is out of fashion you might have to pay for it! Good luck and don't let that put you off.Whats the rest of the project like?

Comment

The reason someone has cut the hole into a slot is to make it easier to remove & refit the clutch cable. It normally goes through a hole, but some replacement cables have a larger adjustment locking nut that wont go through holes.

Comment

Thanks, I think it will be easier to get it welded, not by my stick welder though

Comment

east coaster project

Regarding the clutch cable holes in engine plates I realised the problem during my rebuilds of my 25 and 32 DCs and Essex and reamed the holes larger, has proved to be a worthwhile modification, not easy once assembled.

Comment

Thanks- sounds like a sensible modification. My Anglian Enduro has a notch cut out of the plate to help the cable lay flat rather than enter the lever at angle, another 'modification' that someones has done:roll eyes:.

Comment

Welded with modification

The engine plates are now welded up with the 'modification':roll eyes:

quick spray of silver to check it looks okay and then ready to be stripped and powder coated.

What colour silver are the engine plates? They are not galvanised like the trials plates.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                  The engine plates are now welded up with the 'modification':roll eyes:

quick spray of silver to check it looks okay and then ready to be stripped and powder coated.

What colour silver are the engine plates? They are not galvanised like the trials plates.
                  Silver's Silver Black is Black. Just get them done whatever is available.

Comment

That's the trouble everything is available, there are so many shades and whilst I am quite happy to make some changes for modern riding I would quite like the colours to be as near as possible to the original. Some silvers are almost grey and we all know how many shades of grey there are

Comment

There are actually a number of shades of Black!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                        There are actually a number of shades of Black!
                        Yes but you would only notice the slight difference if you put them side by side. Likewise with Silver.

Comment

WHAT.....There are dozens of shades of silver! Try matching a silver panel on a car and it can be a nightmare.

Comment

Silver-plate them?
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                              WHAT.....There are dozens of shades of silver! Try matching a silver panel on a car and it can be a nightmare.
                              Yes but engine plates dont need to be matched to any thing else, they would be the only silver painted bit on the bike (other than the tank panel) & as most of them are hidden from view no one would notice a slight change of colour.
                              I would think the silver used on the Anglian frames would be the same.
                              A better way may be to have them Zinc plated.

Comment

Working...
                              X