Engine wanted for scrambler (36MX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine wanted for scrambler (36MX)

Anyone have an engine for sale for my scrambler. Bike is a 36MX but reckon 360cc engines are rare. So does anyone know of a Villiers 250cc twin for sale that should do the job. I'm looking for a complete engine/box.

Originally posted by bertie View Post
    Anyone have an engine for sale for my scrambler. Bike is a 36MX but reckon 360cc engines are rare. So does anyone know of a Villiers 250cc twin for sale that should do the job. I'm looking for a complete engine/box.
    An MX2,MX3,MX4 and MX5 250 motor would be a better option than a Villiers twin. Not only would the Villiers twin be a bitch to install, it would be so under powered for off road use...and the gearing would not be suited as well.

I have a MX3 250 motor in my 36MX frame and I'm delighted with it.
    Attached Files

Comment

engine

Can't be that rare, I just bought one on ebay!!!

Cheers,
      Andrew

Comment

25mx4!

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
        An MX2,MX3,MX4 and MX5 250 motor would be a better option than a Villiers twin. Not only would the Villiers twin be a bitch to install, it would be so under powered for off road use...and the gearing would not be suited as well.

I have a MX3 250 motor in my 36MX frame and I'm delighted with it.
        Hiya Kenny,

Now that looks nice! Any chance of a few more pics please mate?

Bertie, you don't say if you are a GRA member or not in your profile, but joining the club has got to be one of the best ways of tracking down an engine/spares/advice....

Happy hunting!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
          Hiya Kenny,

Now that looks nice! Any chance of a few more pics please mate?

Bertie, you don't say if you are a GRA member or not in your profile, but joining the club has got to be one of the best ways of tracking down an engine/spares/advice....

Happy hunting!

Brian.
          Hi Brian,

Nice to see you back on the forum. Here you go...I built this MX4 about 15-16 years ago. Found a photo of a Works MX4 with the long stoke motor and thought it was cool, so I replaced the 360 with this 250 motor . It really handles well and has a nice spread of power.

Cheers!
          Kenny
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice Bike!

Hi Kenny,

That looks very nice indeed mate, thanks for posting the pic!

Bet it's great to ride too.

Yeah, I'm enjoying a week off work at the moment so I've had a bit of time to scan and post some new stuff on here today (as you may have noticed....)

Why is it that every time I go to type something on a keyboard, my fingers immediately start thinking they're playing the riff from 'Eruption'....?!

Still, at least it keeps my callouses in good nick!

Eddie Van Typewriter.

Comment

Hi, Thanks for all your replies, I will try to dig deeper
              PS I'm not a GRA member yet but will join in June ? at the start of the membership year ?

Comment

Hi Brian,

Nice to see you back on the forum. Here you go...I built this MX4 about 15-16 years ago. Found a photo of a Works MX4 with the long stoke motor and thought it was cool, so I replaced the 360 with this 250 motor . It really handles well and has a nice spread of power.

Cheers!
                Kenny
                Hi Kenny,

That's a nice looking bike! I might fit my long-stroke 250 engine when I blow up the 380 engine in my MX4! The 360/380 looks such a heavy great lump.

Did you have that exhaust header pipe made specially, or is it available somewhere??

Cheers,
                Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                  Hi Kenny,

That's a nice looking bike! I might fit my long-stroke 250 engine when I blow up the 380 engine in my MX4! The 360/380 looks such a heavy great lump.

Did you have that exhaust header pipe made specially, or is it available somewhere??

Cheers,
                  Andrew

Thanks Andy!!

The pipe was made by Kevin Felle at Circle F out of the state of Texas. He manufactures the cones and silencers for the 360, but I requested the single exhaust front cone. I had the header pipe made up as the same bend of a 360, only a larger diameter. We had to fabricate the mounting bracket ourselves. I modified the footrest so it folds up like a Griffon, but it is not spring loaded.

Here is another pic of the pipe.

Cheers!
                  Kenny
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Andy!!

The pipe was made by Kevin Felle at Circle F out of the state of Texas. He manufactures the cones and silencers for the 360, but I requested the single exhaust front cone. I had the header pipe made up as the same bend of a 360, only a larger diameter. We had to fabricate the mounting bracket ourselves. I modified the footrest so it folds up like a Griffon, but it is not spring loaded.

Here is another pic of the pipe.

Cheers!
                    Kenny
                    Kenny,

Looks even better from that side!! I already have the expansion chamber from Kevin, so I'll get in contact with him for one of those headers.

Many thanks,
                    Andrew

Comment

bertie,

You don't have to wait until June. Join now for a year and it will run until June 2013!

Don't delay!

Rob

Comment

OK rob, will do, cheers, Rob

Comment

Working...
                        X