Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switches

Tony

The switches look good. Especially as they are NOS. Are these the type that have the control levers fitted? If so, some spares will be needed!!

I guess you will need a hybrid wiring loom to suit the type of ignition you decide to use. Once again, I think the Triumph Aventurer will be a good starting point.

Phil

Comment

They have the alloy levers with the ball end which screws on with a threaded cross head bolt and nut. Bought new ones for £5.00 easily replaceable for when I fall off and break them.
      I have a T100c new wiring harness and will use that as I have the headlamp as well. It makes sense to me to replicate what I have on the Trophy T100c as I can then interchange when required.

Comment

Banana forks

I picked up the banana forks today, they have been stored for a long time and there was just some surface rust. I gave them a quick coat of primer to protect them until they are ready for powder coating. Just the tank to sort out and then I have all the major parts.

Rarer than hen's teeth - and a lot more expensive

Comment

The ones off eBay I presume

Comment

The ones off ebay

Yes, I was motivated to keep them in the Greeves riders community Since these had been stored for many years you do wonder how many people keep hold of parts that they don't get around to using and consequently push up the price due to the high demand. Perhaps a Greeves riders amnesty where members who have hoarded parts that they will never use make them available to members - pie in the sky I expect

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
              Yes, I was motivated to keep them in the Greeves riders community Since these had been stored for many years you do wonder how many people keep hold of parts that they don't get around to using and consequently push up the price due to the high demand. Perhaps a Greeves riders amnesty where members who have hoarded parts that they will never use make them available to members - pie in the sky I expect
              Tony - you must have read my mind! More emphasis on the "riders" part needed though. Nice to see that these forks will be fitted to a bike which will be ridden, rather than stored in the back of a dusty garage for another 20 years accumulating value.
              Why do people hang-on to these parts if they are never going to be used?

Cheers,
              Andrew

Comment

Funny how, as soon as you do part with something, you find you could have put it to good use yourself. Anyone else found that?

John R

Comment

Hi everybody, what a interesting thought tony had, an amnesty where members can buy greeves parts at realistic prices, i think the gra members should try & trade amongst themselves a bit more, like andy & john pointed out as well, there seems to be plenty of stock being hoarded in peoples sheds etc.
                  A while back, i bent all your ears looking for a fuel tank, i asked the forum & luckily john seen it, had one & i was sorted.
                  But i had to ask, it was not going to come to me, i don`t think members use or read the facilty we already have enough, prehaps a swap system as well, they do say one mans meat is another mans poison?.
                  I am sure there is a solution out there somewhere?. dave

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                    Hi everybody, what a interesting thought tony had, an amnesty where members can buy greeves parts at realistic prices, i think the gra members should try & trade amongst themselves a bit more, like andy & john pointed out as well, there seems to be plenty of stock being hoarded in peoples sheds etc.
                    A while back, i bent all your ears looking for a fuel tank, i asked the forum & luckily john seen it, had one & i was sorted.
                    But i had to ask, it was not going to come to me, i don`t think members use or read the facilty we already have enough, prehaps a swap system as well, they do say one mans meat is another mans poison?.
                    I am sure there is a solution out there somewhere?. dave
                    I think you mean one man's wheel is another man's piston

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
                      Funny how, as soon as you do part with something, you find you could have put it to good use yourself. Anyone else found that?

John R
                      AHH.. no truer words said. Especially when in just a few months you go from 1 Greeves to 5.5 Greeves....I unwittingly gave Dave some good ammo against me...if I had a nickle for everytime I had to buy a part, be it Greeves or Villiers, I sold after the MCS restore I would be a rich woman! Oh well, I enjoy the hunt for a part...or the being creative enough to make my own.

I do feel your pain

Tammy

Comment

Shocks for banana forks

Any opinions on what shocks to use with these forks - the main use will be poorly maintained roads, unpaved and tracks . I also need to get the rear ones as well for the TFS frame so any thoughts about those would be welcome as well.

Comment

Shocks for Banana Forks.

Hi Tony,

Have a look at this thread for a little more info and advice from Phil; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=2096

For reference, here's a few links to check out;

Rockshocks; http://www.rockshocks.co.uk/

NJB Shocks; http://www.njbshocks.co.uk/

Falcon Shocks; http://www.falconshockabsorbers.co.uk/trials-pg01.htm

Hope this helps a bit!

Brian.

Comment

Tony's update - due to popular demand

I now have most of the 'bits' I need for a dry build. I do have a few areas of concern that I am still not sure what to do about.

Suspension

Having just got my 1971 Trophy T100C on the road and had a 20 mile ride my thoughts on suspension and brakes have become quite focussed The reason for this build is because I have sold my 990KTM beast for something more manageable. The KTM's suspension is brilliant not just on the rough, but also on the road, which is where alot of times is spent by those who travel on their bikes. I therefore need to invest in suspension that is not going to jar me everytime I go over a bump - like the Triumph does. I have looked at various different products and the Hagon rebuildable Nitrogen look good - obviously expensive, but then all products that offer better quality and function are going to be. Nothing worse than buying a cheap product and then riding for days regretting your choice. All suggestions welcome.

The second main issue is stopping. My T100c has new shoes, skimmed hub and whilst it stops okay, it is not comparable to a disc or two. I have a Triumph 7" LS brake that I am planning to use in an Enfield full width alloy hub - if I can get it to fit. I have also thought about the Grimeca 4LS brake, whilst very expensive does have stoppability. I know that it has been fitted to a Greeves so would be interested in how well it fits/works.
                            The suspension and brakes are therefore the key area that I need to address as the quality of the ride and more paramount my safety depend on getting it right.
                            The rear TFS competition hub is being rebuild at SRM, not sure about rim size,WM2 or WM3, I like TKC 80 tyres and would like the widest I can get without rubbing the swingingarm Thoughts please

Phil is sorting out the plates and frame for me as I want to make sure it is set up properly.

The T100C engine is still in a box, total rebuild needed

and finally the colour My new DVLA V5 states my Greeves 490cc is blue. Whilst I can obviously paint it whatever colour I want I am not sure whether to keep to blue or not. My Scottish is blue (RAl colour) which I like. I have sent Suffolk Stove enamellers a chain guide just to see what their Moorland Blue is like (apparently they have the holy grail), if I don't like it I might just go for another colour altogether.

Is this enough of an update Mike?

Comment

Are you the last of the late brakers??? Wow, a Grimeca 4LS should stop it, but at penalty of weight on the front end. I would be tempted to set it up with something more modest and lighter in the first instance and consider your options once it's on the road.

Comment

late braker

It is not so much that I am a late breaker, but in certain countries such as India you do need to react stop / quickly. There would be the extra weight, but then sometimes more weight is an advantage, light machines tend to get blown around and it does have a good 500 engine for adequate power. As I said I am only at the stage at the moment so all thoughts on this are helpful.
                                Of course it might be too easy to lock the wheel with such a powerful brake

Comment

Working...
                                X