Brake levers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake levers

I have not had any luck finding any one who produces the brake plate levers in Stainless steel.
    The Silverstone is the same as my standard Scottish and the smaller lever nearly the same profile, but half the length.

the shiny one is the Scottish

I know Will Horgan (Stainless Classics) will make them, but to get a decent price a few need to be made.
    Chrome plating is expensive and not going to last on our heavily salted roads so I would rather not go down that road (no pun intended :roll eyes: )
    A few firm commitments might get him to produce some.

Brake levers

Why not get a piece of stainless steel sheet the right thickness, a hacksaw, drill & some files & make your own. Basic engineering apprentice stuff.

Comment

Brake Levers

Hi Tony , try Paul at www.cottonvilliersspares.co.uk he now sell stainless and plated brake arms for BHC hubs at a very good price.I have used him for lots of Viliers stuff very helpful. Look under Cotton parts second page.Hope this helps.

Comment

make your own

If I was retired perhaps that might be some thing I would do, but in terms of time it is not cost effective for me, and would not be as well produced as one that is laser or water jet cut. I will give Paul @ Cotton Villiers a call and see what he has in stock.

Comment

making parts yourself

Originally posted by tony View Post
          If I was retired perhaps that might be some thing I would do, but in terms of time it is not cost effective for me, and would not be as well produced as one that is laser or water jet cut. I will give Paul @ Cotton Villiers a call and see what he has in stock.
          Not cost effective! I thought the whole idear of doing up old bikes is that its a hobby, done in free time. Sorry if this offends but I am of the old school, did an engineering apprenticeship & could make one of these in less two hours, & have the satisfation of doing it myself. Laser or water jet profiling will still need some filing & fettling to get a smooth job. One of the problems with this country we dont teach the skills anymore. Few apprenticeships & schools who used to teach metal work dont do it any more due to health & safety, the youngsters might injure themselves!!

Comment

Hobby

It is a hobby, and I am sure that you could turn them out in 2 hours, I am confident that I could not and would rather focus on the skills I have and leave jobs like that to more talent craftsman than I am. I know plenty of people who have spent hours and hours trying to produce something that is better produced by someone else, it is all about time management, unless you have the luxury of being retired and plenty of time on your hands.

Comment

Cotton- villiers

Brake arm arrived from Cotton villiers today. As you can see there is a slight difference in the curvature of the arm, however I think that would be taken up by the linkage rod.
              There would be plenty of room to adapt for the smaller arm and £ 7.00 seems a good solution and price for stainless steel - all be it I would have to find my file

Last edited by tony; 16/12/2011, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                Not cost effective! I thought the whole idear of doing up old bikes is that its a hobby, done in free time. Sorry if this offends but I am of the old school, did an engineering apprenticeship & could make one of these in less two hours, & have the satisfation of doing it myself. Laser or water jet profiling will still need some filing & fettling to get a smooth job. One of the problems with this country we dont teach the skills anymore. Few apprenticeships & schools who used to teach metal work dont do it any more due to health & safety, the youngsters might injure themselves!!
                I think that the classic car/bike movement is responsible for almost all the engineering in this country.

Comment

Modified levers from Cotton Villiers

I have modified the basic stainless steel levers which seem to fit now and just need some polishing

Original

New adapted Stainless steel levers

The arms are not quite as wide where they fit on the cam spindle but it is hardly noticeable. The curve of the bottom arm is slightly less than the original but again hardly noticeable.

For me an easier solution than starting from scratch, total cost for the 2 levers including postage was £18.00.

Comment

Working...
                  X