Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cush drive info request

Hi all.
    I need to replace (for MOT) both bearings and seal on my cush drive unit. I have found the bearing numbers ok but can any one help with the seal number type and size please?
    Many thanks.

Cush drive bearings/seals

I would suggest you fit sealed bearings then you dont need to worry about replacing oil seals. But if you do, Villiers Services 01384 76352 should be able to supply them.

Comment

Cush Drive

John is spot on. The seals as such were felt washers soaked in grease. Make sure your bearings have rubber seals, denoted RS on the end of the number. From memory they are 6004. Refit the old felt seals. Do however make sure the wheel bearings themselves are good. I would fit new all round.

While you have the wheel out have a good look at the cush drive spider. Reproduction items are still made by Hunters.

Phil
      Last edited by Phil Hyde; 04/11/2010, 08:15 AM. Reason: Additional text re spiders

Comment

Cush drive brgs/seals

Hi John & Phil.
        Many thanks for the info, I have the old imperial bearing sizes so will now go to a good bearing local man i know and just get bearings with seals. I have checked the main wheel bearing and they all seem fine, but the cush drive sprocket moves all over the place.
        Many thanks again, this web site is great.
        Rod.

Comment

Wheel bearing info, etc.

Thanks for all the great info chaps, as always.

Morrad,

A lot of related and very handy additional information was given in an earlier thread, following a request for info on wheel bearings for a Scottish. It's definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it already. Click on this link to view;

As John and I point out every so often, it's always worth doing a 'search' to see if any further info on a particular topic is available. The icon/button you need is above, on the main blue toolbar to the right of 'new posts'. Click on it then type in your term(s), i.e. wheel bearings. You can specify either 'show threads' or 'show posts', then click 'search'. Anything relevant on here will then be displayed for you to look through. It's a really useful feature, and can be a real help when you're trying to find something.

It's great to hear that you're enjoying the forum!

Brian.

Comment

Important bearing information-please read!!!!

Originally posted by morrad View Post
            Hi John & Phil.
            Many thanks for the info, I have the old imperial bearing sizes so will now go to a good bearing local man i know and just get bearings with seals. I have checked the main wheel bearing and they all seem fine, but the cush drive sprocket moves all over the place.
            Many thanks again, this web site is great.
            Rod.
            Hello to all, please take note on this subject...

Most cush drives for BHC take the more common 6004 (metric) and these also come sealed, the number would be 6004-2RS. However, some of these hubs were fitted with inch series R12 open bearings, (3/4 bore x 1 5/8 O.D. x 5/16 wide) and the width is narrower than the sealed version R12-2RS (7/16 wide), so you must use the older felt seal and steel dust cover with the hub using the R12.

I hope this info helps.

Regards,

Kenny Sykes
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/11/2010, 09:31 PM. Reason: 'Exclamation' and title added to post.

Comment

Crucial Bearing Info from Bearingman.

Hiya Kenny,

Thanks a lot for this important info.

I've taken the liberty of adding an 'Exclamation' symbol to your post to draw attention to it-hope that's ok mate.

Brian.

Comment

An R 12 by any other name would roll as sweetly

Different manufacturers used various designations for this size/type.
                'R 12' designation was used by Federal, Hoover, MRC and New Departure.
                SKF, FAG, KOYO, Nachi and NTN used 'EE 6'.
                Fafnir used 'S 8 K'.
                RHP used 'KLNJ 3/4'. (at least this reflects the bore size!)

Comment

More on Bearings.

Thanks for chippin' in Gudgeon. Interestingly, 60042RS1C3 (at least I think it had a 1 in it!) is the exact same size as for the cush drive on a Ducati 900SD Darmah...!

I definitely need to get out more...!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Gudgeon View Post
                    Different manufacturers used various designations for this size/type.
                    'R 12' designation was used by Federal, Hoover, MRC and New Departure.
                    SKF, FAG, KOYO, Nachi and NTN used 'EE 6'.
                    Fafnir used 'S 8 K'.
                    RHP used 'KLNJ 3/4'. (at least this reflects the bore size!)
                    You nailed em all Gudgeon!

Thanks!
                    Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                      Hiya Kenny,

Thanks a lot for this important info.

I've taken the liberty of adding an 'Exclamation' symbol to your post to draw attention to it-hope that's ok mate.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks!

I'm not that clever to figure out how to add all those symbols!

Kenny

Comment

It's always a pleasure Kenny.

Like I said, I really do need to get more......

Brian.

PS If you're interested, (and I can think of much more interesting things!), the 'smilies/icons' on the right of the 'reply to post' page can be used in the message/post itself, and the additional ones at the bottom of the page (you may need to scroll down a bit to see 'em) can be used in the title of the message/post.

Comment

Cush Drive Bearings.

Hi, whilst I can't, offhand, remember the numbers, I do know that when I replaced the first set of these on an MDS there were TWO thin bearings that had come loose in the housing. I replaced them with ONE. I've since done this twice, as it seems to work better. Again I used sealed bearings as the mix of grease & dirt didn't do the open ones much good. I've also used one of Jim Hunter's 'spiders' and can vouch for their value & strength.

Any help?

Comment

Working...
                          X