No announcement yet.

Griffon 380....or 360....or QUB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The law of sod applies once more Brian. It would have been great to meet up again just to prove the griffon actually exists Spent a good while on the phone this evening sorting my (late) entry for marks Tey. Cheque is in the post so I will definitely be there. No Greeves Championship of course, but I hope some of you chaps will be racing just for the sheer fun of it.

Paul

Comment

griffon tank badges

So I didn't make it to marks Tey with the Griffon for the last round of the season. Despite my best efforts I couldn't stop a significant oil leak from the chaincase (despite new gasket) or get it to run consistently. Utterly dejected on Saturday night, I couldn't face the long drive to Essex just to spectate so had a much needed lie-in on Sunday morning instead.

Now I've got over my sulking, and on the positive, the bike just needs a little fettling to have it ready for next season. I may have missed the deadline to race this year, but I and the bike will be chomping at the bit for next season.

As you will see in the pic, I am missing tank badges. I was hoping to get the Griffon head badge but struggling to find these. Can anyone help.? from checking pictures, it seems some griffons have the head badge and some have the Greeves great Britain badge, but it doesn't seem consistent across the various models. Is there a rule or did the factory swap and change?

if I can't source the Griffon head badge, I note on the GRA regalia list in the Leading Link mag, the union jack tank badge is available, so that is good. But is item 4 /5, the Greeves Great Britain sticker appropriate for the tank?

Paul
      Attached Files

Comment

I think the white stickers are appropriate to this age of Griffon. I need to talk to you about various things so will send you a PM with my number.

Comment

Black on white "Greeves Great Britain" with the Union flag above the sticker for a twin-piper. both available from GRA.
          Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 07/11/2017, 08:55 AM. Reason: clarification
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Paul.
            Bike looks fantastic.
            See you next year,

Comment

Thanks all, I'll get the stickers ordered. Just so I'm clear, was the griffon head sticker a later / qub addition or was it not consistant?

Comment

First appeared on the 1972 range: 250 Griffon model 60, 380 QUB model 63.

Mind you, it's a nice graphic, you could always use them if you want to - it's your bike!
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Ah, that explains it Colin. I like the graphic too, and as my bike is something of a bitsa, the actual year of manufacture is open to debate, so I'll keep option open.

Comment

gearbox query

Evening gents. I was browsing some earlier threads and noticed someone struggling to identify neutral when putting a griffon gearbox together. he solved the problem before an answer was given. So my question is simply this - does it need to be in neutral? And if so, is there a simple way to identify real neutral rather than a false neutral? Motor is back on the workbench to deal with an annoying oil leak so now is the time to double check the 'box.

Paul

Comment

setting up primary chain tension on Griffon

Evening gents.

I need to tension the primary chain on the Griffon and your help as to how to do this would be appreciated. I have a handful of shims to fit on the gearbox mounting bolts but how many to fit? Is it purely trial and error to get tension right. And do you measure the play in the chain to judge correct tension? Whilst I'm in this area - a question on the stepped spacer behind the clutch. Not sure which way around this should face. I'm guessing smaller diameter side towards bearing as it seems to fit better, but if someone could confirm this I'd be grateful.

cheers

SW

Comment

The way to go firstly is, have you got a new heavy duty primary chain!....no! then get one from terry sewel, wasting your time trying to set it up with a cheap or old chain....it`ll be stretched in two mins.
                        This will probably have already sorted out your probs, but if not, add shims equally to all four points, until you get about a 1 cm of lift on the chain.
                        As for sprocket alignment, build it up & put a straight edge across the chainwheel, on the side of the teeth & check its true against the front sprocket, ( the same ) if not, shim the spacing behind the clutch hub until the straight edge just aligns with the crank sprocket. hope this helps you sogster....

Comment

What Dave Higgins said, plus "I'm guessing smaller diameter side towards bearing", correct.

Comment

......and SW, if you're still trying to source Griffon decals, see post 288 of this thread; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...cals#post26194

Brian.

Comment

[QUOTE=dave higgins;37593]The way to go firstly is, have you got a new heavy duty primary chain!....no!

As you know Dave, I'm from Yorkshire ....of course I haven't got a new chain. this one was me dear old dads and I was going to pass it on to my son when I peg it. .

I think you've hit it right on the head - the chain seems so loose it would probably need 1/2 dozen or more shims on each mounting bolt. Clearly not right. It looks in good condition but must be stretched. Inside of primary case shows signs of wear from a sloppy chain too but should be serviceable. I'll get a new chain ordered.

Thanks to all 3 of you for a super fast reply...have you got nothing better to do on a Saturday evening though?.......Me neither

Comment

Na` not reallly, just talking to me old c/bro brian & we thought we might just butt in in on u`r busy post....

Comment

Working...
                                X