Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning products

Hi
    I'm new to the forum having just aquired a Greeves Scottish. It has been sat around for a while and the whole bike needs a good clean. Can anyone recommend products to : 1.give the frame a good general clean (Ive bought some muck-off spray to sart with, any good?) 2.the aluminium is looking rather dull and pitted, with the alloy tank and mudguards looking especially dull). 3.I'd like to give the engine a good clean too but don't know what is best/safest to use. I am going to use chrome polish on the wheels and exhaust. Any advice most gratefully received

Hello mark,
    I have found Autoglym metal polish to be good on the alloy and shiny bits with plenty of elbow grease. Not used muck off so couldn't say.
    Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
      Hello mark,
      I have found Autoglym metal polish to be good on the alloy and shiny bits with plenty of elbow grease. Not used muck off so couldn't say.
      Charlie
      Thanks Charlie, is that on the engine casings too?

Regards

Comment

Well, I'm not exactly an expert at cleaning things, at least according to my Missus, so I can only tell you what I do and what seems to work OK for me. I use Gunk Ultra and a paint brush on most of the bike, especially parts where the contamination is oil bound, then detergent and water, then hose it off. The Gunk's about nine quid a gallon, so you can afford to use it quite liberally. Any bare metal I then spray with GT85 or WD40 and wipe off with a cloth. For polishing alloy I use Autosol, but Wenol works just as well. If the alloy is really hazy then I'll start with fine Scotch-Brite and Autosol and finish with cloth and Autosol. If the parts are really pitted or scratched (as are most of the parts on my RCS rebuild) I get more aggressive, 320-ish grit wet and dry, working down to 1200 before Autosol. You can speed things up if you have a polishing mop and bench grinder, but I was never much of a concours tart so I've never gone that far.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinLS View Post
          Well, I'm not exactly an expert at cleaning things, at least according to my Missus, so I can only tell you what I do and what seems to work OK for me. I use Gunk Ultra and a paint brush on most of the bike, especially parts where the contamination is oil bound, then detergent and water, then hose it off. The Gunk's about nine quid a gallon, so you can afford to use it quite liberally. Any bare metal I then spray with GT85 or WD40 and wipe off with a cloth. For polishing alloy I use Autosol, but Wenol works just as well. If the alloy is really hazy then I'll start with fine Scotch-Brite and Autosol and finish with cloth and Autosol. If the parts are really pitted or scratched (as are most of the parts on my RCS rebuild) I get more aggressive, 320-ish grit wet and dry, working down to 1200 before Autosol. You can speed things up if you have a polishing mop and bench grinder, but I was never much of a concours tart so I've never gone that far.
          Thanks Kevin - great advice (know what you mean about the Missus lol)
          I didn't think about WD40 but it makes sense
          Best Wishes

Comment

Working...
          X