X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Greeves Championship race reports and results

Previous rounds can be found on this link

ROUND 4 MAYLANDSEA
    Forget Gorillas doing the London Marathon that is nothing compared to the Greeves Championship . Round 4 of the 5 back to back marathon meetings returned yesterday to Maylandsea a picturesque village on the black water estuary home of sailors grebes and gulls ...... The silence interrupted briefly ad the Greeves Scramblers thundered around the twisty dusty circuit.

Man of the meeting was Jos "the Kid " Goddard with a Garrick of wins showing us old campaigners just how quick a Griffon can go ..... His is doing so well that Allen his dad has come out of retirement and once again took to the track ...... Albeit briefly on an in aptly named "Stormer" to be quickly replaced by Jos's spare race QUB ....
    Great to see Jos's big sister Kayleigh back on the Hawkstone making it a triplet of Goddards on Jos Triple win day !!
    Sam Heitman fast as usual suffered from mechanical issues . Mat McCulloch championship leader before yesterday was fast and stylish and battled hard with Jos all day ..
    Of the other contenders Ricky Widdowson put in two solid rides and
    Julian smith did well in the first but fell in the second I was off the pace taking it easy after concussion last weekend and scraped a sixth.
    Great days racing thanks to Dave for getting our results and scores sorted and to Geoff Nunn for lap scoring 4 meetings on the bounce ....

Next week is round 5 of the EPIC with 3 GREEVES "Works" teams out in the 100 miler and round 5 of the championship on Sunday at Mortimer ... There will be a big crowd and lots of Greeves enthusiasts so come and cheer us on

Results of Round 1 2017 Greeves Championship Marks try 26th March

These are the results of round the
    Attached Files

Comment

Results of round 2 Maylandsea 16th April

These are the results of round 2 Maylandsea
      Attached Files

Comment

results of round 3 Sproxton 24th April

Round 3 Sproxton
        Attached Files

Comment

Championship standings after 3 rounds

These are the standings after 3 rounds
          Early days as this year we drop 2 of the 13 rounds
          Attached Files

Comment

NOTE.....Despite the title line, these are the 2017 results.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
              Previous rounds can be found on this link

ROUND 4 MAYLANDSEA
              Forget Gorillas doing the London Marathon that is nothing compared to the Greeves Championship . Round 4 of the 5 back to back marathon meetings returned yesterday to Maylandsea a picturesque village on the black water estuary home of sailors grebes and gulls ...... The silence interrupted briefly ad the Greeves Scramblers thundered around the twisty dusty circuit.

Man of the meeting was Jos "the Kid " Goddard with a Garrick of wins showing us old campaigners just how quick a Griffon can go ..... His is doing so well that Allen his dad has come out of retirement and once again took to the track ...... Albeit briefly on an in aptly named "Stormer" to be quickly replaced by Jos's spare race QUB ....
              Great to see Jos's big sister Kayleigh back on the Hawkstone making it a triplet of Goddards on Jos Triple win day !!
              Sam Heitman fast as usual suffered from mechanical issues . Mat McCulloch championship leader before yesterday was fast and stylish and battled hard with Jos all day ..
              Of the other contenders Ricky Widdowson put in two solid rides and
              Julian smith did well in the first but fell in the second I was off the pace taking it easy after concussion last weekend and scraped a sixth.
              Great days racing thanks to Dave for getting our results and scores sorted and to Geoff Nunn for lap scoring 4 meetings on the bounce ....

Next week is round 5 of the EPIC with 3 GREEVES "Works" teams out in the 100 miler and round 5 of the championship on Sunday at Mortimer ... There will be a big crowd and lots of Greeves enthusiasts so come and cheer us on
              Here is a great picture of man or the meeting Jos "The Kid" Goddard
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kim et al....threads gone a bit quiet? Looking forward to next round at marks Tey on 25th. Unfortunately still as a spectator as the griffon is still in intensive care. progress is being made though, still hope to have it entered in competition before season end. See you all there,
                Paul

Comment

Hi Kim,

Many thanks for another great write up, sorry I've only just read it!!

I am guilty as charged for stealing one of "The Kids" QUB race bikes and shameless as ever I hope to have a little ride out on it again at the Grand National. The Stormer is currently "resting" after I cured the ignition problem only for the gearbox to decide it no longer wanted to select any gears!!

The Kid has a brand new sexy Maico piston and rod in his favored white QUB now. I only mention this as it will be my excuse for not beating him in the Greeves races

Look forward seeing you all at the Grand National.

"Goddard Senior"

Comment

Hi Allen and Soggy - Family commitments followed by an alternative race option in Northern Ireland a chance to give the province a Greeves experience - and to support the new political coalition - meant no riding and reports on last two rounds , (after 5 back to back) - I will catch up with Dave and post the results on this thread to keep you all up to date - but in the meantime a little birdie tells me that Jos "The Kid" continues his relentless pursuit of the championship - making best use of Maico Internals - or "Cheater Bike" as Craig calls em (I am also guilty )

Looking forward to resuming the championship at the Northants Classic MCC at Woodford in 2 weeks time. - and then later in July at Gosfiled.

Allen - can you provide an update on the grand national ? and trust the QUB power was to your liking rather than that Dodgy Stormer (trade descriptions should apply to that name )

Cheers Kim

Comment

We need to get the Goddard handicap sorted out.....Sam was the only rider to get near him, and he had a stop in one race, so finished down the field a bit. Dave Harper was there but is still not firing on all pots. He organised a reunion of old boys from the Eastern Centre scramble and speedway fraternity. Together with the other old boys riding round and the cracking racing, it was a brilliant day.

Comment

Round (7 i think - lost count) Woodford Northants MCC

The Greeves Championship resumed battle yesterday at a Sunny and very hot for racing Woodford near Kettering run by Colin Hill and Pete Griffiths of Northants MCC........

15 Greeves riders made the pilgrimage from Essex. - although due to mishaps all didn't make the whole day .

This year we raced on the main mx track - with the exception of the top loop which we cut out. It was very very technical flowing , some jumps to cause excitement - as well as double berms on bend to choose from (Hard when you are given a choice) .........but 4 laps of a very long twisty jumpy circuit made for some very exciting racing.

Onto the racing ...........Race 1 lasted barely two laps...riders fighting for position all over the track when at the sharp rising right hander Adrian launched his Hawkstone off the step off jump and landed hard.......hung onto it for three or 4 bounces ...very poetic scrambling ballet (according to Coxy who was following a little too close behind) and then went down ..............Ian Cox was caught up in the mellee - and several riders stopped to assist Adrian . The race was red flagged so that the medics could attend . Adrian suffered some badly bruised ribs.....But was walking around the pits later in the day ....best wishes for a speedy recovery - it will be sore today

Sam Heitman - who was running second to Jos when the race was red flagged limped back to the pits to discover his swinging arm with cracks in the welds and twisted....... lucky that he did not end up doing an other 3 laps as that could have resulted in a big off......

Race Two - the first points race - Tom Wormleighton got a flyer with the holeshot followed by Jos "The Kid" Goddard , Ricky Widdowson and myself.

Jos and Ricky quickly pegged Tom - and then I overtook over a jump and into the left hander ..........Jos extended his lead with Ricky and me in hot pursuit.
                        Down the order close racing between Tom, Mark Larter, Ian Cox and Mike bell with a mix of challengers and griffons.

With 1 1/2 laps to go Ricky broke down (Lead off coil) as he landed off the tricky step off at the top of the circuit - and I took second.

Jos by then had a clear lead and was showboating to the crowd. (These kids eh ) ........I had an easy run in second and popped a few wheelies

Race 3 : the start was identical to the second - Tom again getting the holeshot followed by Jos, Ricky and myself. Jos got the lead exiting the righthander of turn 2 and then in turn 3 the next right hander Ricky scrambled inside Tom with a block pass . At the next left hand switch back Tom took the inside lower line and I blasted the outside top berm cutting to the left as i exited behind but faster we both took the jump at the same time but I landed on the inside for the left hander and got through . That is how it remained....Jos, Ricky, Me MArk Larter , Tom, adn then Mike Bell and Ian Cox ...I think

A great days racing
                        Thanks to Geoff Nunn for making the trip to keep the points and lap scoring going. Unfortunately Dave was not very well last week and was unable to make it. to the circuit...

And thanks to Terry Sewell TDS for making it up with the spares van - to aid a few riders on the day

And our reward? - we do it all over again at Gosfied in two weeks time
                        Cheers Kim

Comment

Hot and a bit dusty! I learned a vital lesson by not drinking enough in the morning! I was really clapped-out in the afternoon just walking around taking pics! Josh certainly showed his skills again, but even he got outridden in the non Greeves racing by a young lad, not in the programme, who was on a CZ owned by Colin Hill. I think he will be a real contender in Classic events if he continues. Probably best if nobody lends him a Greeves!

Comment

Great report, thanks Kim. Almost as if I was there! (Which I wasn't, of course ......... doh!)

JR

Comment

Thanks for the write up Kim.
                              Were you using some kind of "special" Irish fuel to get you up at the pointy end of the field - stewards inquiry I think
                              I always enjoy going to Woodford, great track and well run. Funnily enough "The Kid" rather enjoyed it too!!!
                              We will be flying the Greeves flag this coming weekend as Jos is doing the British round at Mortimer.

Allen Goddard Snr!

Comment

Working...
                              X